Options

Opinions Wanted

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 12, 2004 in Holy Macro
Here is a shot I just can't make my mind up about. If you have a minute, just tell me if you like it or not.

Thanks

Sam

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2004
    shot
    I like most all of your shots this one i like but it does not make want to tell a friend if you get what i mean .but i can not tell you the real reason and i am so so on b/w thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Was this..
    Taken in color and converted to black and white? Or just taken in black and white. If you have a color version, I'd like to see that too. I am not the biggest black and white fan, but I realize it has its place in the scheme of things, and sometimes if I can see the color image, I can give better opinion if it is sexier in color or in black and white.

MainFragger
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Sam,
    I like it, but I think you need to get more contrast for it to work well as a B&W. Looks a little dark too, but that could be my monitor here at work.ne_nau.gif
    How did you do the conversion? Can we see the colour??
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Sam, I love black and white, I just really love it. However that shot looks more like black and grey, or just grey. The moon is even a kind of transparent looking.

Is that a night shot? (With a moon it must be?)

Sam, what did you do to that photo to get that effect? I have gotten that grey look when I have overdone something trying to get some color into a blown area.

But I shot the full moon, too, in color. I haven't tried for black and white. Nothing I shot had that "grey" look, I don't think. Some had a black look, but not the grey, and some were right on. Some the very first, the moon was great, I had to use that as a donor for others where the moon was blown.

Anyway, I hate to say this, I don't think whatever you did works. I would love to see the original.............no matter what it looks like.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Sam,
    I like it, but I think you need to get more contrast for it to work well as a B&W. Looks a little dark too, but that could be my monitor here at work.ne_nau.gif
    How did you do the conversion? Can we see the colour??
    Thank you all for your comments, and I agree it's just not there.

This is one of those darn photos that I think I see something but can't get it out. Oh well I 'll try next week and see if I can get a fresh take on it, but since you all took the time to comment, here is the original color.

(Yes I know there isn't any moon, and it's daylight, but I did take the moon photo! (Didn't steal it from NASA) Was the night before this photo.

Something about the struggle for survival in this beutifull, but very harsh invoronment. This poor guy lost the battle.

Others seem to be hanging on by a bare spindaly thread of a root or two.

Sam
  • Options
    lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    i love the black and white- i don't like it in color.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Here is a shot I just can't make my mind up about. If you have a minute, just tell me if you like it or not.

Thanks

Sam
    I personally love everything about it. I do believe the B&W treatment could be a tad contrastier. I love the fact the moon is so crisp.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    I'm going to swim against the current here -

I love the BW just as it is! I'd love to see it printed really big!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Ok..I like what you did...
    Sam wrote:
    Thank you all for your comments, and I agree it's just not there.

This is one of those darn photos that I think I see something but can't get it out. Oh well I 'll try next week and see if I can get a fresh take on it, but since you all took the time to comment, here is the original color.

(Yes I know there isn't any moon, and it's daylight, but I did take the moon photo! (Didn't steal it from NASA) Was the night before this photo.

Something about the struggle for survival in this beutifull, but very harsh invoronment. This poor guy lost the battle.

Others seem to be hanging on by a bare spindaly thread of a root or two.

Sam
    ]

But I would make the sky darker, and leave the moon and ground and wood as it is..

MainFragger
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif And I'd do just the opposite! I'd leave the sky as it, and dial in a bit more contrast for the wood and wasteland.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif And I'd do just the opposite! I'd leave the sky as it, and dial in a bit more contrast for the wood and wasteland.
    I agree with wax here. I really love all the elements you have here, it's just a little flat. B&W is definately the way to go too. I think that you are close on this one.

:D
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Me too.