More macro

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited June 21, 2006 in Holy Macro
I think I'm almost getting the hang of this. I think I really need to work on finding a diffuser that works for me though. These came out pretty good but I was at a low shutter speed because I was not getting enough light from the flash. Take a look and let me know what I can improve upon. Thanks!

76578407-L.jpg

76578735-L.jpg

76579771-L.jpg

76580490-L.jpg
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    ...I think I really need to work on finding a diffuser that works for me though. These came out pretty good but I was at a low shutter speed because I was not getting enough light from the flash. Take a look and let me know what I can improve upon. Thanks!

If you are shooting in manual mode, F11, and 1/250 second (or whatever the fastest shutter speed is that you can use with your flash without going into high speed sync) then you should have plenty of light for the target. I often shoot macro at those settings and the flash is my main source of light for the subject and the sun acts as a fill flash for the background (it works at ISO 200). A diffuser won't give you more light, in fact you'll lose about one full stop...

I like your images, but the first 2 don't work for me because the foreground is distracting and the last 2 are a little bit too centered. Don't forget the rule of thirds when shooting macro, and treat your subjects as if you are taking portrait shots (watch out for putting too much dead space behind them).
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Ohhhh Nice Nick
    gluwater wrote:
    I think I'm almost getting the hang of this. I think I really need to work on finding a diffuser that works for me though. These came out pretty good but I was at a low shutter speed because I was not getting enough light from the flash. Take a look and let me know what I can improve upon. Thanks!

Yep your really getting the hang of it Nick....... love the faces, I use a diffuser on the 580...... Macro is not easy to do, it really isn't.
    Your doing really well......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    If you are shooting in manual mode, F11, and 1/250 second (or whatever the fastest shutter speed is that you can use with your flash without going into high speed sync) then you should have plenty of light for the target. I often shoot macro at those settings and the flash is my main source of light for the subject and the sun acts as a fill flash for the background (it works at ISO 200). A diffuser won't give you more light, in fact you'll lose about one full stop...

I like your images, but the first 2 don't work for me because the foreground is distracting and the last 2 are a little bit too centered. Don't forget the rule of thirds when shooting macro, and treat your subjects as if you are taking portrait shots (watch out for putting too much dead space behind them).
    Thank you for your input Dalantech. I think I was not clear when I said I was not getting enough light. I was using the 580EX on the hotshoe angled at 45 degrees with the white card pulled out and the diffuser screen pulled down. I was doing this because it gives me diffused light but since it is pointed away from the subject I am loseing more than one stop. Some of these shots were taken at f/8 1/100, not a place I want to be at. Like you said I would like to be at f/11-f/16 at 1/250, but I have not found a system that gets me the light I need to be there.
    As for your other comments on the shots, I agree with you. I am still mostly trying just to get them in focus and only thinking of composition as an afterthought. I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future though. Thank you for your honest input.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Hey Nick. I wouldn't worry about the shutter speed too much when you are using flash as the main light. When I use a flash I use f/11 at 1/125 or so. The shutter speed isn't that critical because all of the light is from the flash which only lasts a very short time compared to the shutter speed. You wont' see any motion blur unless the sun is very bright. Shooting at f/11 versus f/8 actually improves the situation as it pretty much eliminates all natural light. Try shooting ISO 100 at f/11 at 1/125 with your flash turned off. You should have a totally black image. If you are going for a more natural look then I would get a tripod. You can sort of split the difference shooting handheld at ISO 200 , 1/100 at what ever f/stop the light will allow. I will shoot a burst of several frames to try and get one without camera shake. Clear as mud, eh?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com