Options

Maternity in B&W

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited November 10, 2004 in People
Edit
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Great beautiful subject! I love the compositions and the use of contrast. The first shot is makes a very powerful statement. I love the dark brown skin tones in the last shot. I understand the B&W decision; very logical. But I wonder if the same dark brown treatment from the third shot would work with the first shot. Perhaps the interplay of different skin tones would be interesting, but perhaps it would just be distracting.

Anyway, some of the best dgrin people shots ever, IMHO!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Those shots are so very awesome. And congratulations to the mother.

Really great photography there.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    doyledoyle Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Great shots, nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman. You captured it very nicely.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    Thanks a lot guys. I truly value the comments. I would have loved giving the first photos the brown treatment, but unfortunately, they were shot on dedicated B&W film. The last shot was from color Fuji Superia film. I just wish I could convey the sense of pride when I saw the film shots developed. I was expecting horrific 35mm shots only to be surprised by these. They were sharper, cleaner and 'denser' than the digital pics. The film, overall, just seemed to capture more of the subtle values in the photo than the 300d did.

Once again, thanks for the comments. Soon I'll run out to take pics of the mother and child. ;)
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Beautiful pictues. Great job.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 9, 2004
    Excellent use of window light PDG. Soft, warm, caressing with crisp detail in the hairs on her arms. Lovely.

The old masters really were into something with that north window light weren't they?
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    north light, beautiful subjects, fine photographer. a job well, well done.

congrats on some very fine work. i really enjoyed these.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2004
    Thanks TML, path and Andy. I specifically thought about (and researched) the use of northerly light before shooting these. I actually showed up with a whole bunch of lighting gear only to leave most of it aside for simple backlighting or hair-lights.

Thinking back, I was more nervous than the couple. I even lost some sleep. Then I slowly saw them relaxing and forgetting I was there. That's when the quality of the pics shifted dramatically. The experience rocked. Now I can't wait for my next vict -umm- model to shoot :D

I must say jumping to dslr/slr has been very, very fun. Hopefully I'll have more pics soon. I'm thinking hard about the Humor challenge but pulling blanks.

Thanks again.

• Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    really beautiful shots... I especially love the contrast in the first picture... the different skin tones, his head and her tummy.... stunning!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    :roflhappily snapping