Recovering Corrupt Files off of Compact Flash

BHillmarBHillmar Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 23, 2006 in Cameras
I shoot with a Nikon D70, and I recently got the "CHA" error message (not the first time). I reseated the Compact Flash, and then continued shooting. This has happened before, and usually I lose a pic or two... but this time, at the end of the shoot, I went back to see my pics, and all the filenames on the CF have corrupted looking file names (see attached). Using a Windows FileManager I can see a directory listing of the files on the CF, and the file sizes are about what I would expect, but I get "no preview available" error messages when I attempt to view the files, and I get an "Error Copying File or Folder" window with "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" when I attempt to copy the file from the CF to my computer.

Again, I can see a directory of the files on the CF, and the file size is believable, but I cannot get to the files on the CF.

1) Does anyone know of a way to recover these "corrupted" files?

2) I saw someone online saying that they were able to make an "image" of the CF onto their computer, and then manipulate the files once they were off of the CF. Anyone know how how to create an image of the CF on my computer?

These pics are very important to me (vacation pics that cannot be redone). Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    You might give these guys a try. I've heard good things. You get a free demo to see if it will help you.

You don't say what brand of CF. I've had some luck using Lexar's rescue software on a Lexar CF.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I've got a freeware program on my home computer that has always worked for me. If you haven't solved this by 6:30 EST give me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
  • BHillmarBHillmar Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2006
    Thanks!!
    Many thanks wxwax... I'll give it a look!!
    BHillmar

wxwax wrote:
    You might give these guys a try. I've heard good things. You get a free demo to see if it will help you.

You don't say what brand of CF. I've had some luck using Lexar's rescue software on a Lexar CF.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    BHillmar wrote:
    Many thanks wxwax... I'll give it a look!!
    BHillmar
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Try Zero Assumption. Its a free recovery utility that has worked for me. Have you tried to format the card and then recover? That works for me....considering the files are still there even if you reformat it.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net