Last week-ends downhill racing

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 3, 2006 in Sports

Comments

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Great shots Gus!clap.gif

My hearts racing just looking at them!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Those berm shots are great!

I really like this one too, just wish the background were a bit more blurry so I could make him out better. But the angle and the crossed wheel really make it exciting, looks all wrong and dangerous!

76924000-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 21, 2006
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Nice shots Gus.

I am trying to shoot some BMX races and cannot get a good focus. 20D, 70-200. How do you track the racers as they approach? My auto focus doesn't seem to be quick enough as the riders go by. It's likely my fault but is there a trick I'm missing?
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:
    Nice shots Gus.

I am trying to shoot some BMX races and cannot get a good focus. 20D, 70-200. How do you track the racers as they approach? My auto focus doesn't seem to be quick enough as the riders go by. It's likely my fault but is there a trick I'm missing?
    Hi Gneufeld,

Perhaps you aren't using the AI Servo mode of your camera...
    I used to have the 20D and found the focusing speed (which is more lens than camera anyway) was very good. Assuming you're using good glass, try following the rider and focusing as soon as you see him, then when he gets into your prefered composition you'll be ready to fire the shutter. If he is moving towards you then the speed won't be an issue at all as he will only become larger in your frame. If he is passing you then I would suggest following through the shot after you have fired the shutter in order to capture the feeling of movement.
    One way to know that you got the shot is if you still see the rider in your viewfinder after you've taken the picture. This is a great indication that you followed through fully!
    I Hope this helped a little...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited June 29, 2006
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Those shots are fantastic gus, no worries about bad light thumb.gif
    edited June 29, 2006
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Tks seamus...not a lot of colour in our bush 'eh ? It hasnt rained properly in 260 days now so the dust is inches thick on the ground.
    Wow. eek7.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    I'm sorry Gus...

I got the names mixed up and sent the compliments to Gneufeld at the end of my advice to him instead of you eek7.gif

So here it is...

Great clarity in these photos!! Keep up the good work :D

Cheers,

Chris
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited June 29, 2006
    edited June 29, 2006
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Shame about the lighting but still great shots there mate, just think of all the practice you are getting for a good days shooting:D
    May I take your picture?
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Thanks GUS, Jeffro and F45. I have tried various auto focus modes but now that I know what others are using I'll work in AI Servo. I think my problem lies in my tracking. When shooting a jump, only the approaching riders head is visable until he is in the air. I may need a better vantage point. I'll practice using all of your suggestions. I hope it was OK to ask questions in this thread.

"Learnin' learnin' learnin', man my head is swirlin', keep that shutter churnin', shoot RAW, shoot wide, rawhide"
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Gus...nice shots, my last MX race was "falt" too, overcast, rain, blah...but sometimes that puts the viewer in the moment as well. Again...good workthumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D