First Model Shots

ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited June 23, 2006 in People
Just thought I'd put these up for you guys to look at. This is my friend Nada, she needed some pictures for an import model contest a local car club is putting together. I thought model photography would be something fun to take a stab at. These are what I think are the strongest of the lot that I took.

76743924-M.jpg

76749067-M.jpg

76749762-M.jpg

Thoughts? Critiques?

Thanks for looking,
~E

Comments

• BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Love shots 2 & 3! But, if you are looking for a critique here are my "nit pickings".

Shot #1 has her foot cut off and seems to be lacking... something.

I would have cropped shot #2 just a smidge farther out from her knee.
    Any way to get rid of the corner of ceiling in shot #3?

Be proud, I knew a lady who got a LOT of bucks doing bedroom photography and her work wasn't this nice.

Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I agree with what Kat said. I like the poses but I'm not very fond of the backgrounds. You did a good job and definitely had a great model to work with.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Thanks for the great critiques and wonderful comments! I had a whole day planned of really cool scenery and backgrounds. She was on a tight schedule so it cut our photo time considerably and we ended up not even leaving my apartment. I got an email of a gal who saw the gallery and wants me to shoot her the next weekend, I'm jumping at the chance to learn and do better.

Thanks again everyone!
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Erik, you're in Renton? I shoot out of a studio in Pioneer Square. Hello, neighbor! :D

The first shot is good, though I agree with the foot-cutoff comment.

The second shot is tough - doing it on the bedspread with the carpet showing takes it into the "snapshot" category. I've found, to really pull off the upside-down shot like this, you want the model to move her head so that she's facing the lens a little more directly, and get the eyes a bit wider, looking right into the lens, as if she's making direct eye contact with the viewer.

The third shot ... re-crop to get the wall/ceiling meeting out of it, and watch your shadows on the wall. You know, of course, that the purist in me wants to rail against the hands-on-boobs implied shot as too stereotypical, but damn if I don't do it myself now and again. But if she's going to do implied topless, get more curve in there. Cover the nipples if you want, but don't make it look like she's grabbing a full handful, because that's just cheese. If she's going to be topless, let her be topless and get the curves in the frame.

Just my opinions...
  • ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Erik, you're in Renton? I shoot out of a studio in Pioneer Square. Hello, neighbor! :D

The first shot is good, though I agree with the foot-cutoff comment.

The second shot is tough - doing it on the bedspread with the carpet showing takes it into the "snapshot" category. I've found, to really pull off the upside-down shot like this, you want the model to move her head so that she's facing the lens a little more directly, and get the eyes a bit wider, looking right into the lens, as if she's making direct eye contact with the viewer.

The third shot ... re-crop to get the wall/ceiling meeting out of it, and watch your shadows on the wall. You know, of course, that the purist in me wants to rail against the hands-on-boobs implied shot as too stereotypical, but damn if I don't do it myself now and again. But if she's going to do implied topless, get more curve in there. Cover the nipples if you want, but don't make it look like she's grabbing a full handful, because that's just cheese. If she's going to be topless, let her be topless and get the curves in the frame.

Just my opinions...

Whats up Cambler, or should I say neighbor? I was hoping you were going to chime in. I appreciate the feedback. I looked through you galleries for ideas and inspiration on this shoot.

I'll definetely keep all those things in mind you guys mentioned on the next shoot.

I'm having a hard time figuring out locations for the next shoot. I don't have lighting and really can't afford to rent any at the moment so an outside shoot or indoor with a lot of windows is in order. Any ideas for the Seattle or south-end area?

Thanks again everyone!

~Erik
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Why not shoot outdoors? Find a nice, natural location and get some wide aperture going. Keep the model the focus and let the background blur. Fashion is about the clothes, glamour is about the model - and it looks like you're going for glamour.

Do you have any ND filters? On a bright day, shoot f/2.8 or better, lowest ISO, reasonably fast shutter, and put an ND filter on the lens if you have to.

Urban locations are great, too. Find a rail yard, or construction yard, don't get in anyone's business, but look for broken concrete, or rails that disappear into the horizon. Find a rail car, which makes a great backdrop. Freeway overpasses are good, too.