Persistent Issues with Loading Pictures

mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited June 22, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I know there few options to load picture but based on the setup on my side (firewall etc that will remain the same and out of my control) and number of pictures I need to load, I can only use the windows drag and drop type of the upload tool. So please do not suggest to another tool as that will not solve my problem. I also know most of you volunteer you time so thank you very much in advance. I have big issue the load, I have 750 photos to load each 3-4MB, I wish to load all but am able to load asked to load only 25-30 each time because of the 100MB limit - but that is not my issue. My main Issue is even when I try to load (drag and drop) even just 6 or 8 pictures at a time, it load them and then gets stuck at 'Waiting for Reply' screen (and this may/or may not be my issue either) for about 15 minutes and then comes back with the fruitless message 'We're sorry, but there was an error with your upload. Please try again' It has already been 24 hours since I started the load and have not even loaded 200 pictures out of 750. The horrible thing about this is that even when I get the message with the error, it still load 'some' pictures and also loads some other 2 times (copy) or more – I don’t think anyone has time looking at 750 pictures and deleting the duplicates – if they are loaded that is.
I feel the programming behind this has to be redesigned.
1) If there is an error then - 'clean up/rollback' the entire load for that instance – do not duplicate some picture/skip other and load the rest – very vague logic.
2) Also why does it hold us up with the 'Waiting for Reply' while it possibly making 'small/medium/large' copies and other house keeping (why make us wait for this.) If the original is uploaded – we should get a upload success message right then- it should try on its side doing this (small/medium/large etc/etc) and not fail the entire load. Do it as a 'batch job' and let us know which pictures could not go through your process that makes copies or other things behind the scenes stuff - via email later.

Smugmug is the best, but loading is the worst part of it in my experience. Please Help!!!
Milind

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Why only the windows D&D, I'm not understanding the why part of that. You can't use the Universal Drag and Drop? Sendtosmugmug? Starexplorer? Uploading large quantities, you need a fast, stable connection, as I see you are aware. Many folks report great results with starexplorer, with uploads such as you describe, and leave it going all night, come to it in the morning, and all is well.

Can you tell us more?
  • mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Andy:

Thanks for the excellent response time. I tried using various other upload tools you have mentioned but due to the firewall issues I had problems with them and had to try them and abondon them and the thread. Drag and drop is the best choice, except for the problems that I have mentioned. I am trying to get help on the 'drag and drop' load to see if I may be missing something in the setup just for this load, that will alleviate the issue I am having [see issue 1) and 2)] in the original email.

Thanks again,
    Milind
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    mkpatil wrote:
    Andy:

Thanks for the excellent response time. I tried using various other upload tools you have mentioned but due to the firewall issues I had problems with them and had to try them and abondon them and the thread. Drag and drop is the best choice, except for the problems that I have mentioned. I am trying to get help on the 'drag and drop' load to see if I may be missing something in the setup just for this load, that will alleviate the issue I am having [see issue 1) and 2)] in the original email.

Thanks again,
    Milind
    OK. I have a feeling it's the firewall that's causing you the problems, though, and I fear there's no good way around it :(
  • mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK. I have a feeling it's the firewall that's causing you the problems, though, and I fear there's no good way around it :(

But, regarding the issues 1 and 2 that I have - is this how the software is designed or can I get around this. [i.e., why can't it just get the upload done and continue with the processing off-line (just like when you rotate a picture - picture is greyed out and the processing done offline and you don't have to for it. Also if the upload errors out is there no good clean up process on your side rather than uploading few pictures correctly, few with duplicates and few skipped- I am sure these cannot be firewall issues.]

Thanks,
    Milind