Options

Finally got some birds!

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited June 25, 2006 in Wildlife
Like we need anymore birds in this forum!:rofl

I gave up on the refuge and went to the local pond. I was shocked to find out that the birds will chase you rather than run away! Of coarse, silly me decided to go in the middle of the day, full sun above, and 104 degrees! I really need to move out of this desert!:D

Most of the time, I either blew out the white or the images were too dark. I'm sure the bright sun didn't help! But, since this is really my first time shooting birds, I was pretty happy with my new friends!:thumb

Any C&C would be great!

1 - 1/400th, f/7.1, 320mm
77306057-M.jpg
2 - 1/640th, f/10.0, 105mm
77306267-M.jpg
3 - 1/640th, f/9.0, 400mm
77306441-M.jpg
4 - 1/800th, f/5.6, 210mm
77306495-M.jpg
5 - 1/640th, f/5.6, 400mm
77306774-M.jpg
6 - 1/500th, f/5.6, 400mm
77306814-M.jpg

7 - What the HECK is this!!!???? Turduckeese?:D 1/320th, f/5.6, 320mm
77306655-M.jpg

All were at ISO100, handheld, using a 20D and a 100-400L

Thanks for viewing!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Tough shooting conditions. I'm no expert but... #1 is a bit blown out. The others maybe a tweak under-exposed? I really like #4.. very nice lighting on the bird in the front. And, I have no clue what that last one is :D

What settings were you using?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    raian wrote:
    Tough shooting conditions. I'm no expert but... #1 is a bit blown out. The others maybe a tweak under-exposed? I really like #4.. very nice lighting on the bird in the front. And, I have no clue what that last one is :D

What settings were you using?

Agreed. I got confused from shooting sports and had the EC at +1. I then went to -1 which resulted in the under-exposed photos but the whites didn't blow.

Really, I was bored and decided to do some trials...always learning!:D

I edited the original post and put in the settings.

Thanks for the comments!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Your shots are very nice Kevin. I know how it is to shoot in extreme lightning but if you shoot RAW and make the histogram your companion while shooting, than you can shoot as good as possible and adjust some curves while PP.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Your shots are very nice Kevin. I know how it is to shoot in extreme lightning but if you shoot RAW and make the histogram your companion while shooting, than you can shoot as good as possible and adjust some curves while PP.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.

Thanks for the tip Dick!

I still haven't tried to shoot in RAW! First, I'm a little scared:uhoh , second, I just don't have the computer power. Waiting till I can afford G5 - I gotta stop buying lenses first!:D

- Kevin
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    I like the last shot...looks like he's smiling at the camera...or you!!! :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    About time you got some bird shots. :D You got some good ones too. The exposures can be real tough when shooting white birds.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    White birds and bright sun - should send me running in the other direction. But no, I stay and shoot it out too.rolleyes1.gif
    You got some nice shots in very difficult conditions.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Thanks Saurora, Harry, & LCD.

I don't think Bakersfield will ever have the right weather for white birds!

- Kevin
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    the last duck with the red on its face is a muscovy. unlike other wild/tame ducks, they are not related to mallards. also, unlike most tame ducks, they can fly....sort of. we had a bunch for a while and would find them sitting on top of all sorts of things...
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff