gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited November 28, 2004 in Holy Macro

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    11149219-S.jpg11152143-S.jpg

Oooh! I like the second one. There's kind of a motion feeling in those bricks. Like they're swirling. Both nice shots though. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    Love the second oneclap.gifclap.gif
    Makes me feel like i'm bumping my head on the ceiling!!!
    First one's nice too, but second is very 'arty'!
    nice one!thumb.gif
    Love the b/w too.

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    I like them both, but I love the brick in the first one. Too bad it has distracting swan in it, too.rolleyes1.gif And you probably were photographing the swan, lol.

I have a thing about brick, that brick looks especially photogenic.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2004
    Thanks everyone, ginger this one's for you if you like bricks. I think I posted this before, but nevermind!

6881753-L.jpg
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    The 1st is just so intriguing. The mark in the stone mimics the swan's neck position. Really weird and cool at the same time. Nice work.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    Thanks, Gubbs. You did post it before. How could I forget beautiful brick, smile.

Very nice picture. I do, I love brick, old brick is best. I love the round part of this one, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    11149219-S.jpg
    11152143-S.jpg
    Blown swan desease in the first. But the second is stunning. I'm always trying to find interesting compositions and geometry in everyday objects, usually with medocre results. So I like seeing it succeed. Gives me hope.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Nice shots Gubbs, I especially like the B&W one... makes your eye move to the stairs.thumb.gif

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    You did it again Gubbs. Lovely and attractive pics.
    Are these old sewer buildings?
    I have to agree with the last poster that the way you angled the second shot really makes the eyes go to the stair.
    I can almost feel how I would stand there bend over not to hit the ceiling.
    Nice work... (What do you do with all your photo's?)
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    bowdown.gif
    That B/W is just stunning, dynamic, appealing, a little harsh, but I like that! Would you care to elaborate on your B/W conversion?
    Thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    Thanks for the comments Yvette & Cat, thumb.gif
    photocat wrote:
    You did it again Gubbs. Lovely and attractive pics.
    Are these old sewer buildings? I have to agree with the last poster that the way you angled the second shot really makes the eyes go to the stair.
    I can almost feel how I would stand there bend over not to hit the ceiling.
    Nice work...
    Sorry, I really should get in the habit of giving some explanations and locations.

No they're not sewers, these arches are underneath the viaduct that supports the railway line coming out of Windsor Station and cross the river. They go for a mile or 2. I have plans to go and shoot them as they cross through the fields and allotments, I just need to work out how to get close to them!!ne_nau.gif
    photocat wrote:
    (What do you do with all your photo's?)
    I just post them up on Smugmug and here at the moment. My wife bought some frames to start putting some up but I can't seem to get my colours right on the printer, its very frustrating!! Family shots and holidays we put into traditional albums. Other than that on my hard drive and archived off onto DVD.... Is that what you meant??

Thanks again thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    bowdown.gif
    That B/W is just stunning, dynamic, appealing, a little harsh, but I like that! Would you care to elaborate on your B/W conversion?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Michiel, from memory (not good!) I used a channel mixer layer, upped the red to about 150 then balanced it back down with the red & green... I' ll post the exact settings when I get home this evening.

Thanks again and welcome to DGrin thumb.gif
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    I just post them up on Smugmug and here at the moment. My wife bought some frames to start putting some up but I can't seem to get my colours right on the printer, its very frustrating!! Family shots and holidays we put into traditional albums. Other than that on my hard drive and archived off onto DVD.... Is that what you meant??

Thanks again thumb.gif[/QUOTE]

I just bought some Ilford Smooth gloss paper, and I have gotten a really good result on it. Mostly I take my cd's to the store and have them processed there. I find that printing at home is time consuming, and if your screen and printer are not calibrated, almost impossible to do. I cring when I see that my magenta cartridge ran out at the bottom of a huge A4 print...

To avoid situations like that, I have them printed which gives me better paper, and longer lasting prints.

I asked what you do with photograpsh, as in digital days, we take so much photographs and I am afraid that most of them never get seen or even get into books. I am a scrapbooker too, so i Love to have my digitals on print too.

I wonder how many good pics are lost for the future because they were taken digitally and not stored properly or get lost...

On the other hand, I took over 13000 pics last year, I am now in the process of catalouging them... Made me wonder what to do with all those shots...
  • Options
    marygracemarygrace Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    Sweet!
    Thanks for sharing! These are great. I'm inspired to go out and look for arches now.
    marygrace
    my photos go here

D200
    D70
    18-70/3.5
    85/1.8
    50/1.8
    lens baby 2.0
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    bowdown.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    Michiel,

Sorry, I warned you my memory was bad...
    Used a channel mixer layer, monochrome box checked, with the following settings...Red -88, green +182, blue +10
    I was initially trying to get an ir feel to it ne_nau.gif
    Here's the original which looks pretty dull
    11974817-L.jpg