AKC Dog Obedience Shots (7 photos)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited June 30, 2006 in Sports
My wife is looking to add another member to the family. Thankfully, not another child as we are of an age when we are looking forward to being full-fledged "empty nesters." What she wants is a dog. So we traveled to Richmond VA (about 60 miles) to see an AKC Dog Show. She went for the conformation events - just to see the breeds. I couldn't have cared less. I went where I could get some acdtion shots (of course I took my camera gear!).

Besides, I'm more interested in the brains than in the beauty.

When looking at the following, please understand I was limited to very poor florenct light and I couldn't flash for fear of distracting the dogs. Iimagine being a handler that has worked years to train the dog only to have the result spoiled by an incosiderate photographer! Not going to be me! So, I was wide open (f/2.8) at ISO 800. Probably should have tried 1600, but the noise!

This first series I thought was interesting. Looking this dog, all I can think about is "floppsy". But the dog is very happy!
77658482-M.jpg

77658521-M.jpg

77658586-M.jpg

This series is for my neice who just loves golden retrievers.
77659071-M.jpg

77659167-M.jpg

Here, you can see the dog's smile quite easily.
77659240-M.jpg

Part of the "Open" class obedience trials requires the handlers to put the dogs in the "down" position. When the judges orders them to "Leave your dogs," they must file out of the ring to a location determined by the judge. This location puts the handlers out of sight of the dogs. The dogs are then required to maintain their positon (they can settle down, but can't move about, squirm, etc) for at least another 5 mintues.

The spaniel is getting bored and lookng around. That's cool. Just shows the dog's level of intelligence.
77659292-M.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    Nice shots, Scott. I especially like the last one. So I guess we can expect some "new puppy" posts from you pretty soon? Have fun in your decision making. If you're interested in a brainy dog, just keep in mind that the smarter they are, the more easily they get bored. And a bored puppy....well, you get the picture!!! :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Nice shots, Scott. I especially like the last one. So I guess we can expect some "new puppy" posts from you pretty soon? Have fun in your decision making. If you're interested in a brainy dog, just keep in mind that the smarter they are, the more easily they get bored. And a bored puppy....well, you get the picture!!! :D
    Nah, no puppy pics for a while. The wife is looking now because she can but she knows that we can't get one until at least next spring. We used to have dogs (3 for a while) so we know about the boredom issue.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2006
    We had 3 dogs in the house.
    The last one had to be killed because was too ill.
    The previous one was known as "my dog". Mine, Antonio's dog. Daddy's dog.
    He was very very clever but unfortanatelly he had a heath problem and passed away.. I was very sorry. :uhoh
    My wife loves dogs.
    I do like them also but not the way she does.
    We have beeen considering to have a dog again these days that children are out of the house as they lieve their own lives.
    If we adopt a dog it would be an abandoned dog.
    What do I mean ? A dog left in the street by the people. Not a breed. We considere they are ill often.
    Why? Because - of course I am in Portugal and this is what happens here - animals from breeds have sometimes consanguinity what makes them ill before beeing too old. And sometimes they are fool and attack us.
    I shot (with the 20D) this dog today at the beach.

77710996-M.jpg
    77710221-M.jpg
    77709591-M.jpg
    77711708-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Scott-Sounds like you were challenged as much as the dogs! :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited June 26, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Sounds like you were challenged as much as the dogs! :D
    :D:D:D
  • frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Scott, they aren't the best pictures, but I thought your niece might like my golden...

e992abfa.jpg

c227119d.jpg
    edited June 27, 2006
    Cute little dog. :):
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    I love Competitive Obedience. My yellow lab is in the top level now (Utility). I would love to be a judge someday. It's a really fun sport and you bond with your dog and really become a true team.

These pictures are wonderful. Can I ask what lense you were using? They do not allow you to use flash at these events and my pictures always come out dark (I've only ever tried to shoot some with my little P&S Fuji... now that I have the Nikon D50 I want to try again).
  • frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006

He is still cute a year later. He just weights a little more now (85 lbs).
  • scoobscoob Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    thumb.gif great shots!!
    -Michael
    Camera - my little olympus point and shoot
    edited June 29, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif Very cute little puppy.
    edited June 29, 2006
    raian wrote:
    I love Competitive Obedience. My yellow lab is in the top level now (Utility). I would love to be a judge someday. It's a really fun sport and you bond with your dog and really become a true team.

These pictures are wonderful. Can I ask what lense you were using? They do not allow you to use flash at these events and my pictures always come out dark (I've only ever tried to shoot some with my little P&S Fuji... now that I have the Nikon D50 I want to try again).
    The lens - my Tamron (see below).

Not only do they not allow you to use flash at these events - it would be a gross injustice to the people/dogs competing. These teams work long and hard (as you obviously know) to get where they are. To have someone blow it for them by distracting the dog with a flash - that's just not on!
  • mgmphotographicsmgmphotographics Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Awesome shots! Sweet adorable dogs! Do you you have any in the wildlife section (pets)? thumb.gif

Mara
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    44011459-M.jpg

Hey Scott ... If you don't have your heart set on a certain dog yet ... here's a recommendation. I've had a number of dogs, from mutts to Goldies ... but the best dog I've ever had is my little Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. The best companion ever, man or beast. I just cannot say enough about her ... my Wired Fox Terrier is fun and entertaining too, but the Wheaten is a person.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited June 30, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    44011459-M.jpg

Hey Scott ... If you don't have your heart set on a certain dog yet ... here's a recommendation. I've had a number of dogs, from mutts to Goldies ... but the best dog I've ever had is my little Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. The best companion ever, man or beast. I just cannot say enough about her ... my Wired Fox Terrier is fun and entertaining too, but the Wheaten is a person.
    People who love dogs are nice people.
    Statement by myself.
    Of course we love dogs here at home :D:D:D
    thumb.gif