color correction help

SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited July 1, 2006 in Finishing School
I recently photographed a band called The Black Angels and had the luxury of getting up close to the stage and actually taking some halfway decent shots. Got home and put them on my computer and saw that they all look like this

77724782-M.jpg

The band only wanted the right lights on, which made every shot have a red tinge. I tried messing with things in Adobe Camera Raw but couldn't really improve the image that much. Any suggestions?

I guess the band was going for the "red look" from the getgo so to them the pictures will probably look good, but to me, they just seem too red.
bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 25, 2006
    did you try the calibrate page in acr with the rgb hue and sat sliders?-

other option is to go to bw-

george
  • Newbie2006Newbie2006 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2006
    try this
    try adding this layer group over your images if you like what i've done with your image.
    not sure if the guitar is the correct colour, doesn't look like it so if i was you i'd add another adjustment layer to the group.

download the zipped psd file here (too big to attach on this site):

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=930143C452D9985B

let me know what you think.

EDIT TO ADD:

this is what it looks like by the way:
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll mess with it when I get home from work tonight.

I grabbed that file also, the example isn't exact, but it still looks a lot better than the red one.

I'm thinking between the b/w, a few reds, and some fixed up ones the band will be pleased with the photos.

Now, one last question, is there anything I should do or setting I should use on my camera if this situation comes up again?
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    I know watcha mean...
    Ed,
    I shot a concert recently where the gels made a weird reddish/yellow aura on the skin tones. Really baaaad looking. I went into curves and adjusted each channel according to what I wanted to eliminate - gotta take a peek at a color wheel to figure out what to remove or add. I was able to adjust the image to get skin tones that worked and the only real effect on the overall image was a slightly cooler white balance which works for me.

Since the faces were pretty much toward the upper end of my histrogram, I went toward the upper end of the curve especially for the green and red channel and it worked like a charm.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Yeah and with a little tweaking I like how it looks in Black & white. More a classic look to me anyway.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me