Focus Problem with Teleconverter

ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 30, 2006 in Cameras
Hi guys! Just bought a new 2x Teleconverter for my Sigma 135~400 APO Lens. But my problem was, the focus time takes too long, sometimes it's hard to focus. Can't do the manual focus if you have the teleconverter on.
What/Where do you think is the problem ? :dunno

Thanks,

Ryan

PS: I'm using a Nikon D70s body.
nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 26, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    Hi guys! Just bought a new 2x Teleconverter for my Sigma 135~400 APO Lens. But my problem was, the focus time takes too long, sometimes it's hard to focus. Can't do the manual focus if you have the teleconverter on.
    What/Where do you think is the problem ? ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

The problem is that the lens is an f4.5-5.6. The 2x tele-extender adds 2 stops so now you are working with an f9-f11 lens, or so. Your camera is not going to focus well at those apertures, either automatically or manually with assist. I believe the D70s is designed to autofocus with lenses of f5.6 or better.

A much better solution, if you really need the reach, is the Sigma 300-800mm, f5.6. You had better have deep pockets as this lens is around $5000-$5500USD.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Ziggy,

Such a great help. Maybe i'll consider selling the teleconverter on ebay.
    Investing on a teleconverter was a bad money for me. i should have ask first before i bought it. Anyways, we all learn from mistakes:cry .

Thanks,

Ryan
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ryan,

The problem is that the lens is an f4.5-5.6. The 2x tele-extender adds 2 stops so now you are working with an f9-f11 lens, or so. Your camera is not going to focus well at those apertures, either automatically or manually with assist. I believe the D70s is designed to autofocus with lenses of f5.6 or better.

A much better solution, if you really need the reach, is the Sigma 300-800mm, f5.6. You had better have deep pockets as this lens is around $5000-$5500USD.

ziggy53
    nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Ziggy shoots and scores again. Man, you're incredibly helpful, thanks for all of your great advice. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 26, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif with Waxy. Good work Ziggy thumb.gif

Ryan,
    You may want to try the cheap Tamron 1.4X TC. Since it doesn't report a new aperture to the camera, it will usually allow you to retain AF on F5.6 max aperture lenses. I used this guy on my F6.3 max aperture Bigma and it worked well for stationary subjects :D

Attached to an excellent prime, it will allow you to capture moving subjects.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Hi Steve! Thanks for you recommendationthumb.gif . I'll check if that one is available here in the Philippines.

Thanks,

Ryan
    15524779-Ti.gif with Waxy. Good work Ziggy thumb.gif

Ryan,
    You may want to try the cheap Tamron 1.4X TC. Since it doesn't report a new aperture to the camera, it will usually allow you to retain AF on F5.6 max aperture lenses. I used this guy on my F6.3 max aperture Bigma and it worked well for stationary subjects :D

Attached to an excellent prime, it will allow you to capture moving subjects.

Steve
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    paperweight
    i bought an old vivitar 2X TC for use on my 400/5.6 for almost nothing

focussing was very difficult and the image quality was awful..disgraceful...nightmarish even

it did however give me a pentax takumar end cap and spotmatic body cap so all was not lost-its now a paperweight on my desk...

so you are not alone-1.4X would be as high as you would want to go but i found that with manual lenses the sigma sent a message to the camera that there was no lens attached and so no shot-this would of course be fixed by use of the eos emulation chip attached to an adapter..
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    i bought an old vivitar 2X TC for use on my 400/5.6 for almost nothing

focussing was very difficult and the image quality was awful..disgraceful...nightmarish even

it did however give me a pentax takumar end cap and spotmatic body cap so all was not lost-its now a paperweight on my desk...

so you are not alone-1.4X would be as high as you would want to go but i found that with manual lenses the sigma sent a message to the camera that there was no lens attached and so no shot-this would of course be fixed by use of the eos emulation chip attached to an adapter..

Now there's a man after my own heart. Sorry to be off topic but don't you love those old Spotmatics? Real work horses and how about that Takumar 200mm f4? They don't make anything like that anymore. Even with a real nice DSLR and some great glass I still miss my old screw mount.

Cheers
    Bob
    See with your Heart
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    takumar 200mm/ f4.0
    i like the spotmatic sp-metering is a little primitive but once you get used to it a lovely and easy camera to use-looks great too and a solid gold build.

the pentax smc 20Omm/f4.0 is my favourite all round telephoto-sharp,great colour and contrast, no flare problems and quite compact-and such a nice smooth focussing action.

i use it a lot when i am around the streets and its good for(outdoor) portraits too

you can get these for between $50-80 in pristine condition and with an adapter they work very well on my 20d,especially as it crops out the edges, so its sharp across the frame.

also i find due its weight i can sometimes successfully handhold at less than 1/200 th

go out and get another one
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ryan,

ziggy53
    Yo Zig,

Thanks man, for all you do here on Dgrin - you are an incredible asset to our forum!
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Hi Ryan, have you tried taping the pins to see if that will allow maual focus? The ones to tape are on the side of the TC which the lens fits into and they are not the 3 on their own it's the 3 on the other end of the row. The quality is unlikely to be very good but it's worth a try. I think that even with them taped you are unlikely to get autofocus.

Good Luck
    Howard
    ryand70s wrote:
    What/Where do you think is the problem ? ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Ryan