"Da Bros": Idea, Execution, Workflow, Final Image

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited June 27, 2006 in Finishing School
[Disclamier: I'm lousy at doing "tutorials", and I'm no pro on photograhpy or pp what so ever, so if anything seems weird or wrong or just plain dumb, please inform me! If you wonder something that isn't explained please let me know and I'll add it to the "turorial" ]

A little background to the Idea:
When I went out to take these pictures I had no plans, just went out by chance. I was primarily going there to check up on the photo potential of the Industrial estate. It all begun when I was throwing paper for recycling one day and found a commercial catalogue from Fornarina. It was lavish and very extravagant and the mega high quality pictures on thick paper was absolutely blowing me away. It featured a beautiful (ok, let's be straight - very hot and sexy) woman doing commercial for women’s clothing and accessories on a garbage dump in a desert somewhere. I've never seen anything like it (in print at least) and I instantly felt that "WOW! That's what I want to do!" Well, that's not going to happen I guess, but that doesn't stop me from using their style for inspiration. So, my basic idea was to find a rather - how to explain - harsh? but still interesting environment to use for a shoot with a good looking women, trying to get that "commercial for women’s clothing and accessories a´la Fornarina"-feel. So, that's where the basic idea that got me out in the middle of the night came from.

Taking the pictures:
For these pictures I used my 10D on a tripod, a sigma 18-125 mm f3.5-f5.6 DC lens and my Speedlite 580EX. I shot in RAW using Manual mode. I exposed for the sky and underexposed by 1,5 stops to make it really dark blue. To get most of the scene fairly sharp, I set the aperture to 11 with an exposure of "1,6 sec. at ISO 400*. To get a little warmer touch, I set the WB to Cloudy, not necessary when shooting in RAW, since it can be altered afterwards, but I knew that that's how I wanted it.
I focused manually, approx 1/3 into the scene for maximum DOF (Depth Of Field) I experimented with the flash and found that FEC -1 in ETTL mode was enough to give jus a little fill for me (us).

* I shot in ISO 400 to reduce the exposure time. [ISO 400 give you 3 times shorter exposure compare to ISO 100. Everytime you increase the ISO by one stop, you decrese the exposure 1 stop and vice versa] Well, that shouldn't matter when using a tripod, now should it? Well, if you haven't tried, you have no idea how difficult it is to stand absolutely still for a few seconds - you always sway a little and no matter how little, the camera never fail to notice! Here is what to do: Shoot 1 frame without the model/models (you or who it might be) and the rest with the ISO setting that it'll take to get the model/models sharp. Then use the ISO 100 pic for the background image when stacking.

With the camera on tripod, and the focus and exposure manually locked on, all I had to do was to hit the self-timer and take the six pictures I needed for this pic. Hit the shutter, run into position, hit the shutter run....

77848859-O.jpg

PP Workflow: (ARC)
One of the great benefits of shooting in RAW is that it allows you to "develop" different exposures for maximum tonal range. It also saves you a lot of time and energy, since you only need to fine tweak 1 frame, and when you are done, just apply the same settings to the rest of the frames using "Previous conversion".
I didn't have to tweak the RAW-files all that much. Basically I increased the contrast and general saturation a little. To get the pic even warmer, I pulled the WB slider up a little. To give the sky a little extra impact, I increased "Blue Saturation" under "Calibrate". That's all there was to it, initially!

With the 6 different frames in Photoshop I begun the stacking in a 1+1-merge, 1+1-merge way to keep it simple. I took the first pic, when I'm lying on the ground and added the one with me to the right. Drag'n'drop holding down ctrl + shift makes the picture exactly centred with the other image. I used a sturdy tripod really fixed when shooting, so the frames look exactly the same only with me on different spots. I pulled down the opacity of layer 2 to approx. 50% so me on the ground on layer 1 got visable. Then I simply erased (on layer 2) around that area. Again, since the pics are exactly the same and with identic exposures, I don't even have to be particularly careful. When done, I merge. Then I drag'n'drop the next frame and do the same procedure over and over til I'm done. Really simple! :1drink

With the stacking done and the picture merged, I copy the background layer and begin with the overall pp. Clone out distubring flares, spots, things disturbingly cut of by the frame, things growing out of you head etc. etc. Then I boosted the contrast a little more, used the burn tool to darken the shadows in the sky and to darken the road a little on the lower part of the image, that are a little to obviously lit by the flash. I also brought out a little more detail in the shadows using the "Shadow/Highlight"-tool. (The best way naturally would be a new exposure from the original RAW, but I got a bit lazy) :): Then I merged the pic, did a copy, ran the pic through Neat Image (with the preset settings for an ISO 400 image), then set the layer opacity to ca 30% - this smoothens the pic just a little and gives the pic a little video game look (I think). Finaly, I added a little USM, cropped to the desired format and added a black frame using "canvas size".

[These pic isn't the same that I posted in the orignal thread, I've done these a little quick and flimsy just for this "tutorial".]

Stacked & Merged Only:
77844314-O.jpg

Final Image:
77844320-O.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    bowdown.giflustclap.gifthumbylsuper.gif wow, that's some great stuff Matty, awesome, thanks for that thumb.gif
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Haha! Thank you, Ivar! Please tell me if I missed out on something that could be interesting to know! Things like this is difficult, especially when not done in your first languish. :):
    ivar wrote:
    bowdown.giflustclap.gifthumbylsuper.gif wow, that's some great stuff Matty, awesome, thanks for that thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    WTG Matty :)
    Can we have your permission to put this on our "Tutorials Site?" http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

Say the word, and we'll take care of it :)
    edited June 26, 2006
    Thank you, Andy! Well, of course bro! Of course! :): :D Will I still be able to modify the post then, if I'd like to add/change something later on?

Matty
    Andy wrote:
    WTG Matty :)
    Can we have your permission to put this on our "Tutorials Site?" http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

Say the word, and we'll take care of it :)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    clap.gifthumb.gif

Excellent!

Thanks, this is a very helpful tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share your technique, Matty.

Two things. First, it makes such a difference when you can visualize what you want before you take the shot. In this case, you knew that making it warmer would give it more of that comic-book effect you wanted. Sweet!

Second, when I layer copies of a photo, all I do is copy/paste. No worries about lining things up, the pasted shot drops right in, easy peasy.

Again, thanks for doing this, it's great!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Great work, Matty!
    I enjoyed it a lot thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Very instructive -- thanks....
    Awesome image....
  • fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    awesome, I jsut found a NEAT place to take that kind of pictures this week end, an old almost abandonned fuel station with those old looking pumps :) i cant wait to try that process with that setting. only need to find an old looking car now...
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Good stuff Matty, this will come in handy one day, definately. thumb.gif

Malte
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thank you, thaaank you! :): :): :):
    Yes, you're right! Visualizeing is an important key! Before I've been the shoot first, think later-kind of photograper, but successfully, I've started to see the infact rahter obvious benefits of thinking first, shooting later. :D

Yepp, right again, copy/past does the trick too! That is one of the great things with photoshop - there are so many ways to do the same thing, and although you work with it every day for years, you could learn something new every time, if you want. What an amazing program it is!!!

Matty

wxwax wrote:
    clap.gifthumb.gif

Excellent!

Thanks, this is a very helpful tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share your technique, Matty.

Two things. First, it makes such a difference when you can visualize what you want before you take the shot. In this case, you knew that making it warmer would give it more of that comic-book effect you wanted. Sweet!

Second, when I layer copies of a photo, all I do is copy/paste. No worries about lining things up, the pasted shot drops right in, easy peasy.

Again, thanks for doing this, it's great!
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanx! Glad you did, Nikolai! thumb.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    I enjoyed it a lot thumb.gif
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanx you! thumb.gif:):
    Awesome image....
    edited June 27, 2006
    Hey! How cool! Old, abandonned fuel stations is awsome! Now THAT is something I would like to find. I'm looking forward to see the result, if you wouldn't mind to share? :):
    Just for fun, what year are you born? I was born 1973 (19/9 - ring a bell?) mwink.gif

Matty

fraincs wrote:
    awesome, I jsut found a NEAT place to take that kind of pictures this week end, an old almost abandonned fuel station with those old looking pumps :) i cant wait to try that process with that setting. only need to find an old looking car now...
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanx Malte! I hope it will. :):
    Malte wrote:
    Good stuff Matty, this will come in handy one day, definately. thumb.gif

Malte
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Good job Matty and thanks for doing this.

Fred
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanks for posting this tutorial Matty -well done!!! :):
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.