Covered in Mud!

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited July 3, 2006 in Sports
The weather has not been very nice lately, as the rain has kept me away from the track for a few weeks.:cry Sunday didn't look like it was going to be much better, as rain was expected, as well as t-storms.

I got to the track and it was in bad shape...very wet, very muddy. About 5-minutes before the first moto, the clouds let loose...with a 5-10 minute down pour...just what we "needed".

It stopped, and the racing was still on!:clap This is a shot of a racer on his first lap, of the first race. It didn't get any better!

77958030-L.jpg

Shot with my 20D, 70-200L F2.8 IS @ 1/400 F4.

It rained once more, before the day was done. The day was cut short, everyone ran one moto instead of two, due to approaching storms. Five minutes after I left the track, we got hit with about 2-inches of rain in 20-minutes...nasty!

The track had to be shortened because the little guys (80's) couldn't make it up some of the hills.:rofl

C&C welcomed!

-Jeffro
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Well Jeffro your colors look a little muddy. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

It never fails....look, leave, look leave, look leave.......:cry headscratch.gif

Oh well! :D
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    ylsuper.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
    edited June 26, 2006
    ylsuper.gif

:lol4
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 26, 2006
    Good self critique Jeffro rolleyes1.gif

I was going to say it looked good. I really dig the action, mud and flyin' mud. But now that you mention it, it does look muddy. A bit flat too, IMO. I bet you could really bring out the contrast a bit more (despite it looking like you shot this in pretty flat light) with some curves. Maybe even some lab curves. It would also better highlight the flying mud :D

It is a kewl pic and I'd be proud if I shot it. I just think it isn't quite finished yet mwink.gif

Just one man's opinion,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 27, 2006
    Good self critique Jeffro rolleyes1.gif

I was going to say it looked good. I really dig the action, mud and flyin' mud. But now that you mention it, it does look muddy. A bit flat too, IMO. I bet you could really bring out the contrast a bit more (despite it looking like you shot this in pretty flat light) with some curves. Maybe even some lab curves. It would also better highlight the flying mud :D

It is a kewl pic and I'd be proud if I shot it. I just think it isn't quite finished yet mwink.gif

Just one man's opinion,

Steve

It is pretty flat...but it was a very flat day. It pretty much looks the way I saw it, and when I tried to boost it, it just looked too fake for me. Will all the moisture fill flash popped some color, but caused some reflection off the mud at times. In the end I was glad just to be able to get out and shoot.

Thanks for the C&C!:D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    It is pretty flat...but it was a very flat day. It pretty much looks the way I saw it, and when I tried to boost it, it just looked too fake for me. Will all the moisture fill flash popped some color, but caused some reflection off the mud at times. In the end I was glad just to be able to get out and shoot.

Thanks for the C&C!:D
    I played around with the image--hope you don't mind. I see what you mean about boosted colors looking fake. I have been playing around with high radius, low amount sharpening recently to improve contrast. The differences are sometimes subtle--and hard to see in a small image--but I think it helped this shot some:

78076725-L.jpg

I used USM on the lightness channel in LAB, radius 50, amount 20%, threshold 0. You might get even better results if you play around with those values some.

Just a suggestion. :D

Regards,
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    JEFFRO - Great Shot! clap.gif

How do they see through they're goggles!!??
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    JEFFRO - How do they see through they're goggles!!??

Great shot..... yes How do they see through they're goggles!!??
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited June 27, 2006
    Great shot..... yes How do they see through they're goggles!!??

Many of them ended up taking them off....not sure that was a good thing.eek7.gif
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Oh the memories....

I used to do some scrambling (back in the UK near Castle Corfe) and invariably it was just like that, a mud bath.

Personally I tend to think you can gets ome really dramatic stuff in bad weather.

Let's see a few more.

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

edited June 27, 2006
    maczippy wrote:
    Personally I tend to think you can gets ome really dramatic stuff in bad weather.

Let's see a few more.

Andrew :)

Ok....here's another...

78216968-O.jpg

This guy was about to loop out, but didn't, and you can see he too ditched the goggles!
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Great work Jeffro,

You have posted two great shots, the second is my pick.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Sweet pix...

Guess those riders ran out of tear-offs or never wore them to begin with. Silly mistake in the mud!!

The 2nd looks a little oversaturated IMHO. The 1st one looks just fine. I mean, its a little drab, but that to me, captures what the day was and the conditions these guys were riding in.
    edited June 28, 2006
    j-bo wrote:
    Sweet pix...

Guess those riders ran out of tear-offs or never wore them to begin with. Silly mistake in the mud!!

The 2nd looks a little oversaturated IMHO. The 1st one looks just fine. I mean, its a little drab, but that to me, captures what the day was and the conditions these guys were riding in.

Thanks....I think it's a bit over done too...:D...but oh well. I kind of liked the first image better as well, because like you said, it captures the mood of the day better.
  • scoobscoob Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    these are awesome!! thumb.gif
    -Michael
    Camera - my little olympus point and shoot
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Reminds me of my first race, my bike got stuck in the mud standing up and it took three people to get it out. That was when we only had tree inchs of travel. Needless to say my first race was a DNF! great shots. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    That 2nd one is great Jeffro!thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    You can't beat a bit of flying mud in MX :D