Using Elan II e lenses on a new digital camera

VermontoiseVermontoise Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 27, 2006 in Cameras
Hello... Please don't flame me if this is an oft-repeated question... :cry

I'm changing from an Elan IIe to a new (not yet bought) digital camera. I have a speedlight 550ex, and several lenses, including a tele-macro 100-300 lens.

Here's the million-dollar question: what digital camera can I buy which will permit me to use my current lenses and flash? I'm not a very advanced photographer, but want to be able to do more than I can with my Ixus 500...

Eternally grateful for your guidance!!

Vermontoise

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Hello... Please don't flame me if this is an oft-repeated question... :cry

I'm changing from an Elan IIe to a new (not yet bought) digital camera. I have a speedlight 550ex, and several lenses, including a tele-macro 100-300 lens.

Here's the million-dollar question: what digital camera can I buy which will permit me to use my current lenses and flash? I'm not a very advanced photographer, but want to be able to do more than I can with my Ixus 500...

Eternally grateful for your guidance!!

Vermontoise

Your Elan IIe is an Canon EOS camera, so it is compatible with Canon EF lenses and other EOS accessories. The entire range of Canon EOS digital SLRs are compatible with the lenses and accesorries as well. So your choices range from the Rebel XT and 30D, up to the 5D/1D/1DS pro line.

Given your previous investment in Canon EOS, you should probably consider the XT/ 30D as a place to start.
  • VermontoiseVermontoise Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2006
    Thanks for your quick answer... What would the advantages of a 30D be, compared to the 350D, for example? It's twice as expensive - is it worth twice the price? I see the screen is larger, and I understand it's more solidly built. Are there other considerations?
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Thanks for your quick answer... What would the advantages of a 30D be, compared to the 350D, for example? It's twice as expensive - is it worth twice the price? I see the screen is larger, and I understand it's more solidly built. Are there other considerations?

I have the digital Rebel, and a 20D (which is where the 30D came from).

The 20D is soooooooooo much better than the Rebel. I could go on and on, but it would be easier to go to Canon's site and read up on the differences. To name a few things. shutter speed, the feel, more stuff!

I have used the XT...not for me. The Digital Rebel is bigger, as is the 20D and 30D of course. The XT feels too much like a point and shoot to me. I would bet it is smaller than your Elan. Looks kind of dumb with big glass too.

If you can get to a camera store that has them both, go play with them.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited June 26, 2006
    On the other hand, I prefer the XT. I like the smaller size, and the compactness, makes it much easier to go out and shoot with. Both are 8mp, same sensor and processor, etc. There are no significant differences between the two, other than a slightly higher frame rate, an additional high end speed, a bit different focusing system, and a few other bits, like PC sync cord outlet. Some say a bigger viewfinder, but I dont really notice. Overall they are far more similar than different in function.

Certainly, the 20D/30D are bulkier, and closer to the format of your Elan. The XT is closer to the Rebel series of film cameras.

As was said, you need to read up on them, and hold them both in your hand. Both will take exceptional photos.
  • VermontoiseVermontoise Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

I thought that would be a good idea too... I'll be passing through NYC this summer, so I'll stop by B&H or someone to try them out! I admit that when comparing pics of the two, the tiny size of the XT looks disappointing... One of the things I miss about my Elan is having something solid in my hands (and even the Elan is pretty light, compared to my AE1 - which I used for 20 years!). My Ixus is fine for everyday, but when I hold a camera, I want to hold a camera!

Thanks for your help - the question will be thoroughly studied in coming weeks...

V.
    edited June 27, 2006
    I thought that would be a good idea too... I'll be passing through NYC this summer, so I'll stop by B&H or someone to try them out! I admit that when comparing pics of the two, the tiny size of the XT looks disappointing... One of the things I miss about my Elan is having something solid in my hands (and even the Elan is pretty light, compared to my AE1 - which I used for 20 years!). My Ixus is fine for everyday, but when I hold a camera, I want to hold a camera!

Thanks for your help - the question will be thoroughly studied in coming weeks...

V.

Try em out in your hand for sure. It sounds like you would lean toward the 30D size...so keep and eye out on the fleamarket board, there will be plenty of 20Ds available at good prices (last one was $715) as folks move up to 30D and 5Ds. 20D at a great price is a perfect place to start.
    edited June 27, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    On the other hand, I prefer the XT. I like the smaller size, and the compactness, makes it much easier to go out and shoot with. Both are 8mp, same sensor and processor, etc. There are no significant differences between the two, other than a slightly higher frame rate, an additional high end speed, a bit different focusing system, and a few other bits, like PC sync cord outlet. Some say a bigger viewfinder, but I dont really notice. Overall they are far more similar than different in function.

That's what I meant by I could go on....those are pretty significant differances to some (me included), and not to others. The build of the 20D and 30D is better, it will take more of a blow.
    edited June 27, 2006

V.

I wish I could go to B&H....with a truck load of $$$$$$$$$$$:D
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I have the digital Rebel, and a 20D (which is where the 30D came from).

The 20D is soooooooooo much better than the Rebel. I could go on and on, but it would be easier to go to Canon's site and read up on the differences. To name a few things. shutter speed, the feel, more stuff!

I have used the XT...not for me. The Digital Rebel is bigger, as is the 20D and 30D of course. The XT feels too much like a point and shoot to me. I would bet it is smaller than your Elan. Looks kind of dumb with big glass too.

15524779-Ti.gif When I switch from film to digital, I went from an Ellan IIE (right version?headscratch.gif ) to the first digital rebel and was disappointed from day one. So, as soon as the 20D came out I upgraded asap. I absolutely LOVE this camera and am considering a second one!

Besides all the features, just the feel alone is worth the extra money!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin