Charlotte

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited June 27, 2006 in People
I wonder what you think about the lastest portrait additions to my gallery.

I have finally overcome my shyness and have taken a lot of portraits. While they are waiting to be processed here are the first three photographs.

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Whatever skin adjustment technique you're using, it looks a bit fake, and sort of OOF, but the models are gorgeous and I like your use of DOF.

Owen
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Would you believe I had not used any softening of the skin in these shots at all. I do not know what kind of makeup the first 2 models had, but since the photos come from an organised show, including makeup sponsorship I can assume they had some professional makeup artist. Last girl is very young and simply had naturally clean skin. Never the less I will review the raw images tonight and see I can make them look more natural. I'm using Bibble so any one who has experience with this and skin tones and textures I'd like to hear from you.
    Owen wrote:
    Whatever skin adjustment technique you're using, it looks a bit fake, and sort of OOF, but the models are gorgeous and I like your use of DOF.

Owen
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Ted,
    With all due respect: ISO 800 and 1/1600 sec - what were you trying to achieve? ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 27, 2006
    I knew someone will ask about this.

These photos were taken in a dark shopping centre. The models were on catwalk which had no light to speak off. They moved fast - very fast and I'm there with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 hand held in a crowd. I could have used lower ISO like 400 but than I am not sure I would get all shots. In fact I had to push +1 to +2ev in postprocessing for many of them. I took 340 photos in just over an hour - all at F2.8 with AV priority. Time varied from 1/50 to 1/6000. I really had no time to change settings from shot to shot. This was "safe" setting. Last photo was taken with a 28-75 Tamron and I admit settings on that one were "less than desired" - to tell you honestly - it was a setting from a previous outdoor shot. Sometimes capturing the moment is more important than ideal settings.
    Nikolai wrote:
    With all due respect: ISO 800 and 1/1600 sec - what were you trying to achieve? ne_nau.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Ah, ok, gotcha, thanks!
    I knew someone will ask about this.
    Sometimes capturing the moment is more important than ideal settings.

Can't argue with that:-)
    Thanks for sharing!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 27, 2006
    Did you use any noise reduction software?
    edited June 27, 2006
    Yes, these are ISO 800 shots in dark environment so there was some noise. I've used noiseninja profiling each picture individually.
    Owen wrote:
    Did you use any noise reduction software?
    edited June 27, 2006
    That explains the skin. I would prefer noise to the smoothed out look.

Owen