Long Exposure during the Day?

digitallearnerdigitallearner Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 30, 2006 in Cameras
I own a FUJIFILM F10 and I was wondering if it is possible to use long exposure during the day without having a blown out image. I want to use the long exposure to produce water fall images like this one. Can anyone helpe me out? Thanks ALOT!
waterfall-1.jpg

Comments

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    you need to use neautral density filters to fool the camera into a longer exposure without blowing out the highlights-search in here for neutral density threads and photographing water
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Hi Digitallearner,

Just happens that another thread is going on about filters, and Nikolai just wrote a bit about ND (and others) in this post. Hope that helps a bit. Search around this forum, i'm sure there will be more info about it too.

Oh, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif If you need to know how to do anything around here, check out this link thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Doesn't look like yoour camera has a built-in neutral density filter. Pity, that's what you need. I guess your only option is to buy a screw-on ND filter, and hold it tightly against your lens. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Another option....
    You can take multiple images at the lowest shutter speed you can get and them add them together in software. You add them by "stacking" each image as a separate layer. Make each layer 50% less opaque than the layer below it. This gives the same effect as a long exposure.

Erich
  • XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    You can take multiple images at the lowest shutter speed you can get and them add them together in software. You add them by "stacking" each image as a separate layer. Make each layer 50% less opaque than the layer below it. This gives the same effect as a long exposure.

Erich
    Wow, I didn't even think of that and I don't think I've heard anyone ever do it. Great tip.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Personally I prefer the ND filter - they are pretty cheap and allow you to open up the aperture for butter smooth DOF when needed PLUS you can slow down the shutter speed for other shots. Stack it with a circular polarizer and BOOM - you can't even believe what the image looks like on a sunny day!

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    With the ND filter, you will almost certainly be needing a tripod as well.....
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8