Working in the 1800's

badrotationbadrotation Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 1, 2006 in People
Shot this at work on Sunday. We were getting ready to put one of our steam engines away after a long day of giving train rides.

Snapped this really quick while I had a couple minutes free.

What do you think/what would you do differently?

Jeff75SwitchOLD.jpg

Another shot while we were goofing around after work one day:

fredtruckold.jpg

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    I don't think I would have done anything different on that one. I like it the way it is. So you work at greenfield village I take it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    That's Awesome! It looks so real!clap.gif

Great framing and DOF.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • badrotationbadrotation Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    I don't think I would have done anything different on that one. I like it the way it is. So you work at greenfield village I take it.

Nope, not Greenfield.

I work at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, MI.

We have three steam locomotives; a 400ton, 101ft. long Pere Marquette Berkshire (used for the sounds and cgi model in The Polar Express), a 2-8-0, and an 0-4-0 tank engine (pictured above)

We also have a private pullman car owned by the Pinkertons (of the original Pinkerton agency famouse for busting up strikes, and outlaws in the 1800's), a restored 1934 Pere Marquette caboose, an Ann Arbor caboose, along with several other neat peices of rollingstock/switch engines.

our website is http://www.mstrp.com
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Ahhh see I was thinking greenfield cause of the manufacturers plate on the chevy...... Just now realizing that it was a chevy and not a ford so chances of it being driven around on greenfield village property like that is rather slim.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Your first shot is fantastic...i really like it..the depth & the composition thumb.gif Well worth printing.

I can still juuust remember going to town as a young child in the car & having to stop at a rail crossing for an old puffer to pass.
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    I like the first alot, except for 2 things:

1) Maybe a little more contrast?
    2) His glasses. Maybe they are period eyewear, but they don't quite look like it to me.

Great capture overall though!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I can still juuust remember going to town as a young child in the car & having to stop at a rail crossing for an old puffer to pass.
    I love the shots, especially the vignette effect around them.
    Where I lived as a kid there was a small shunt line that went past the back of the garden & that connected to the main line from London. One night I heard a lots of hooting & looked out of my bedroom window & saw clouds of steam/smoke & saw a steam train going past. I later learned it was The Flying Scotsman being driven north to her new home in the York Rail Museum! Cool!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • AngeliaAngelia Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    I really love these shots...they bring me right to them...
    Angelia
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Aside from his foot being slightly cropped, it's an awesome shot! Great sepia, too....

These are GREAT!