EOS 5D...Versus...EOS-1Ds

KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited June 29, 2006 in Cameras
Hi there...I am finally in the market to get a digital camera...but as we all know if you wait awaile something better comes along for less money...seems to be the way with electronic gear.

Question I am all set to buy a Canon EOS 5D...but at the camera store there is a EOS -1Ds...the 1Ds has more pixle count and the fella at the store said about 15% betta resolution...when most...all my stuff is portraits and the biggest is 11x14 most all is 5x7/8x10 would it be worth the wait to buy the 1Ds...has anyone seen a side by side comparison.

The reason I held off so long is the lens thing...with the 5D a 105mm lens is 105...'cause the sensor is full frame like the 1Ds.

If I had the money right now I would be tempted to purchase the 1Ds...but it is $5000 more than the D5...help me out

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    You will not notice any difference between the 1Ds and the 5D at 11x14.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    The 1Ds weighs a helluva lot more and is a lot bulkier.

What you see through the viewfinder is not what you get with the 5D.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    Hi there...I am finally in the market to get a digital camera...but as we all know if you wait awaile something better comes along for less money...seems to be the way with electronic gear.

Question I am all set to buy a Canon EOS 5D...but at the camera store there is a EOS -1Ds...the 1Ds has more pixle count and the fella at the store said about 15% betta resolution...when most...all my stuff is portraits and the biggest is 11x14 most all is 5x7/8x10 would it be worth the wait to buy the 1Ds...has anyone seen a side by side comparison.

The reason I held off so long is the lens thing...with the 5D a 105mm lens is 105...'cause the sensor is full frame like the 1Ds.

If I had the money right now I would be tempted to purchase the 1Ds...but it is $5000 more than the D5...help me out
    The resolution difference between these two cameras is negligible. The 1Ds has "less" resolution than the 5D, contrary to what the store guy said. The 1Ds is one of the true Canon "Pro" cameras, with weather seals, the best shutter mechanism Canon makes, tons of adjustments and customization.

The 5D is the new kid on the block. In reality, they are both fantastic cameras, capable of taking similar images. Both demand great lenses to really show their stuff.

For a good feature comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos1ds%2Ccanon_eos5d&show=all

For my money, I would rather the 5D and some more glass, for the same money.

http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,4007.0.html

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    Kodachrome,
    While I don't necessarily agree with Ziggy's comment about the 1Ds having less resolution than the 5D. I agree with everything else he wrote and would like to add links to a couple more webpages for you to check out:D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page28.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page32.asp

You should be very thankful you have this decision in front of you mwink.gif It's sort of like, which sportscar should I get? The Corvette or the Viper? lol3.gif

It doesn't really matter, cuz either way, you're really gonna enjoy the ride thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    Kodachrome,
    While I don't necessarily agree with Ziggy's comment about the 1Ds having less resolution than the 5D. ...

Steve

Steve,

This is from the Canon USA site:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200509/table3.html

"EOS 5D, Effective Pixels (Approximate) 12.8 megapixel"

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/digital/f_index.html

"The EOS-1Ds combines the high resolution of 11.1 million effective pixels ..."

So Canon says that the 5D has 1.7MPix more than the 1Ds. You may be thinking of the 1Ds MKII, which has around 16MPix.

Most people like the 1Ds pixels better than the 5D pixels in that Canon seems to have used a more blurring anti-aliasing filter on the 5D, which results in a smoother, but marginally less detailed, image.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 27, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Steve,

This is from the Canon USA site:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200509/table3.html

"EOS 5D, Effective Pixels (Approximate) 12.8 megapixel"

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/digital/f_index.html

"The EOS-1Ds combines the high resolution of 11.1 million effective pixels ..."

So Canon says that the 5D has 1.7MPix more than the 1Ds. You may be thinking of the 1Ds MKII, which has around 16MPix.

Most people like the 1Ds pixels better than the 5D pixels in that Canon seems to have used a more blurring anti-aliasing filter on the 5D, which results in a smoother, but marginally less detailed, image.

ziggy53

Ziggy,
    I have obsoleted the 1Ds in my mind. The only 1Ds in my databanks is the MkII :D I also believe that's the only one that sells for $8K nowadays ne_nau.gif

You are absolutely, 100% correct about the 1Ds. I plead temporary insanity. Or, better yet.....Oldtimers Disease rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, the $8K figure caused me to have MkII on the brain rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Thanks for the input
    The resolution difference between these two cameras is negligible. For my money, I would rather the 5D and some more glass, for the same money.ziggy.The 1Ds weighs a helluva lot more and is a lot bulkier.wxwaw. You will not notice any difference between the 1Ds and the 5D at 11x14.

Thanks to the folks that helped me in my decision with the EOS...after what you folks said and hefting 1Ds the little 5D sold itself the glass I bought is a EF24-105mm F4L IS USM and seems very crisp in the view finder...this camera will take the place of my medium format 645 for 90% of my work.

I have to delve into the camera as time goes by but one item has me a little baffled...I undestand and will be using the RAW setting for the book project I am currently working on but there is a section on "Selecting the picture Style"...Hmmmmmmmm...I would feel better doing any file changes in photoshop than have the camera do somesort of magic...am I missing something or is there a definite advantage to the camera induced mods to the file...Standard, Portrait, Neutral, Faithful. Monochrome?
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Not to get into the effective pixel count ... but it takes about 50% more pixels to see a visible resolution difference. So the difference between 12 and 16 isn't visible under normal circumstances.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    I have to delve into the camera as time goes by but one item has me a little baffled...I undestand and will be using the RAW setting for the book project I am currently working on but there is a section on "Selecting the picture Style"...Hmmmmmmmm...I would feel better doing any file changes in photoshop than have the camera do somesort of magic...

The "magic" is applied to the jpeg file, not your RAW file. The RAW file will be flatter, in most cases, than an in camera processed jpeg file. RAW is just as it sounds....raw. If I'm off base....Ziggy will correct me!:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    Thanks to the folks that helped me in my decision with the EOS...after what you folks said and hefting 1Ds the little 5D sold itself the glass I bought is a EF24-105mm F4L IS USM and seems very crisp in the view finder...this camera will take the place of my medium format 645 for 90% of my work.

I have to delve into the camera as time goes by but one item has me a little baffled...I undestand and will be using the RAW setting for the book project I am currently working on but there is a section on "Selecting the picture Style"...Hmmmmmmmm...I would feel better doing any file changes in photoshop than have the camera do somesort of magic...am I missing something or is there a definite advantage to the camera induced mods to the file...Standard, Portrait, Neutral, Faithful. Monochrome?

Picture styles will not affect the RAW image. It will only only apply the style to the in camera jpg.

Sam
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    I told you....rolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    I'm actually faced with the dilemma of wanting a 1Ds Mark II and a 5D. Problem is, the 1DsMII is used (but selling for a reasonable $5k) and I just dont know if I should spend the extra $2000-$2500 on the big daddy camera. Plus, has anyone heard any further rumors about Canon's introduction of the Mark III in September? I'm sure it will go for the price of a small island in the Pacific but will it be "that" much better than the 1DsMark II or the 5D.

(FWIW, I own the 1DMark II as my sports, action camera)

What are everyone's thoughts? Should I get spendy or be trendy? :D
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited June 29, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    I'm actually faced with the dilemma of wanting a 1Ds Mark II and a 5D.(FWIW, I own the 1DMark II as my sports, action camera)What are everyone's thoughts? Should I get spendy or be trendy? :D

Hi Pezix...just checked out some of your gallery...would sure be nice to be able to travel and shoot...having 5 kids and a mortgage kinda keeps me chained to about a 10 mile radius.

5D...well as you can see by the thread the 5D is my first "Real" digital camera taking the place of my old 645...shooting a few test frames out the back door I certainly is well pleased with the results.

Chatting with a few of the shooters round here the image banks are taking digital files and the new D5 is one of the cameras they accept because of the clarity and file size...are you shooting everything raw or do you have a standard rez/file size you use for your gallery prints...interesting to see file notations under the picxs...great idea.

I could have aforded the big one but 90% of my stuff is 11x14 at the biggest...listening to what the folks had to say on this board made a lot of sense to me...even for the catalog work I do the 5D is over kill...I guess it boils down to what you are going to use it for...maybe those extra pixels might mean the differance of a good sale...guess you are still on your own!
    edited June 29, 2006
    ...another thought
    Pezpix wrote:
    Should I spend the extra $2000-$2500 on the big daddy camera.but will it be "that" much better than the 1DsMark II or the 5D.
    (FWIW, I own the 1DMark II as my sports, action camera) What are everyone's thoughts? Should I get spendy or be trendy? :D

Some more thought on your camera delima...as you have the 1DMarkII...maybe it boils down to how much weight and bulk you want to lug around...

Every one used to say carrying around a medium format feels like you have just dropped anchor...below is a comparison of the D5 and my trusty old bronica.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    Some more thought on your camera delima...as you have the 1DMarkII...maybe it boils down to how much weight and bulk you want to lug around...

Every one used to say carrying around a medium format feels like you have just dropped anchor...below is a comparison of the D5 and my trusty old bronica.

Heh, weight is always an issue with those ID bricks, but I use a monopod, tripod almost all the time with the work that I do. To tell you the truth though, I wish Canon would have maybe streamlined the size just a bit down on the ID series since they are hard to fit comfortably in most camera bags (my Lowepro Slingshot 200AW comes to mind) and if I want to carry around big glass with it? Forget it!

Sometimes I swear it would be easier to go back to the old Fuji S7000 point and click days my friend :D

Onto the 5D dilemma... I read quite a bit last night again on the pros and cons of the 5D compared to the 1Ds (not the mark II) and I am fairly certain that if you go the route of the 5D, that you will love the sensor, and quality IQ that it produces with images. Just be warned though, it sounds like the 5D and its full-frame sensor eat up quality glass and you better be prepared to take a major hit on quality on anything less than top-tier glass.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Picture styles will not affect the RAW image. It will only only apply the style to the in camera jpg.
    To be more accurate the picture styles affect the in-camera JPG, but also affect the JPG created by Canon's DPP converter. In other words, your in-camera settings for picture style, contrast, etc. serve as the default conversion used by DPP. You can over-ride it of course, but if you use Canon's converter then setting the correct camera setting can make your life in post a bit quicker.

If you use any other RAW converter, however, none of this matters.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited June 29, 2006
    ...another dead brain cell
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...below is a comparison of the D5 and my trusty old bronica.

I must be getting old I forgot to put in the photo...#$%&$#

comparison.jpg

D5 versus Bronica medium format size comparison...