Options

IR photos

ATGATG Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited July 2, 2006 in Technique
Would like to ask a few simple questions. I have viewed many photos on the forum that were taken using IR filters and lot of others that specify that their cameras were modified to allow better results in the IR range.
My first question is, is it possible to take good IR photos with my off the shelf Canon 20D? Is it a function of just needing longer exposures to compensate for the IR filter built into the 20D? Secondly, what is the big difference between a lower prices IR filter and the more expensive Hoyas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2X10D

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    2X10D wrote:
    Would like to ask a few simple questions. I have viewed many photos on the forum that were taken using IR filters and lot of others that specify that their cameras were modified to allow better results in the IR range.
    My first question is, is it possible to take good IR photos with my off the shelf Canon 20D? Is it a function of just needing longer exposures to compensate for the IR filter built into the 20D? Secondly, what is the big difference between a lower prices IR filter and the more expensive Hoyas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2X10D

Yes, it's possible, you'll need a tripod and a windless day. Shoot manual, long exposures. You get what you pay for with the filters.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanks Andy, that's what I thought but was looking for a little more clarification before buying the filters. I love the effect you can get and realize some of them won't be possible with the longer exposure times but may be worth the investment for the filter to play with anyway. Thanks again. 2X10D
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, it's possible, you'll need a tripod and a windless day. Shoot manual, long exposures. You get what you pay for with the filters.
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    ive done a lot of IR with my 20D (not modified at all).
    i just started my pbase account here http://www.pbase.com/phuongtk you may see some of them. at the moment i only have color ones uploaded. (there are IR photos i shot with other cameras as well, i will upload more of them soon.)

just one thing to remember, IR with unmodified 20D is challenging, in the sense that they take extremely long exposures, and the workflow is cumbersome sometimes. but once you get the hang of it, you'll pull the best out of it :)

2X10D wrote:
    Thanks Andy, that's what I thought but was looking for a little more clarification before buying the filters. I love the effect you can get and realize some of them won't be possible with the longer exposure times but may be worth the investment for the filter to play with anyway. Thanks again. 2X10D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    phuong wrote:
    i just started my pbase account here http://www.pbase.com/phuongtk you may see some of them. at the moment i only have color ones uploaded. (there are IR photos i shot with other cameras as well, i will upload more of them soon.)

just one thing to remember, IR with unmodified 20D is challenging, in the sense that they take extremely long exposures, and the workflow is cumbersome sometimes. but once you get the hang of it, you'll pull the best out of it :)
    Hi phuong,

You have some great shots there! thumb.gif welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    phuong are you from montreal btw?
    welcome to the forum :)
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    yes, i am (:
    fraincs wrote:
    phuong are you from montreal btw?
    welcome to the forum :)
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2006
    Thanks Phuong, your pictures are awesome! I look forward to playing an learning. Not sure what you mean by the workflow being comubersome but I am willing to experiment.
    Thanks for the help.
    2X10D
    phuong wrote: