Damsel and dragons for 28 June 06

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited June 28, 2006 in Holy Macro
I was going to stop at Lago d'Averno for just 30 minutes -and hour and a half later I was walking back to the car...

The sun was at the wrong angle for some of the critters that I found, and the wind wasn't cooperating. But I did manage to walk away with a couple of interesting photos. Minimal post processing and no cropping (I don't allow myself to crop images).

First up is the Damselfly. I'm going back to the lake on Friday morning because the light should be good in the area where I see a lot of mating wheels.

78121806-M.jpg

There is one Violet Darter that is "hyper territorial" -I can always find him perched in the same spot and it only takes me a few minutes to work my way next to him. I shot him like he was a supermodel, trying multiple angles and compositions, but the wind robbed me and most of the shots went into the trash can. Here are the 2 that stood out, both because they are sharp and the background works.

78127633-M.jpg

78130771-M.jpg

Hope you like them -C&C are always welcome :):
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    I was going to stop at Lago d'Averno for just 30 minutes -and hour and a half later I was walking back to the car...

The sun was at the wrong angle for some of the critters that I found, and the wind wasn't cooperating. But I did manage to walk away with a couple of interesting photos. Minimal post processing and no cropping (I don't allow myself to crop images).

First up is the Damselfly. I'm going back to the lake on Friday morning because the light should be good in the area where I see a lot of mating wheels.

There is one Violet Darter that is "hyper territorial" -I can always find him perched in the same spot and it only takes me a few minutes to work my way next to him. I shot him like he was a supermodel, trying multiple angles and compositions, but the wind robbed me and most of the shots went into the trash can. Here are the 2 that stood out, both because they are sharp and the background works.

Hope you like them -C&C are always welcome :):

Hey there Dalentech........man if I saw one of those Red Dragons in my yard I'd be beside myself with joy and rapture rolleyes1.gif I guess still being in drought mode over here doesn't help the Dragonflies either hu.....
    Nice shots........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Dalentech........man if I saw one of those Red Dragons in my yard I'd be beside myself with joy and rapture rolleyes1.gif I guess still being in drought mode over here doesn't help the Dragonflies either hu.....
    Nice shots........ Skippy (Australia)

Thanks for the props! :):

The first time I saw the Violet Darters I just stood and watched them for a few minutes -stunned...

I like your tag line! Personally I think we should take the warning labels off of everything and just let nature take its course... rolleyes1.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

• scoobscoob Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    thumb.gif
    -Michael
    Camera - my little olympus point and shoot
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    scoob wrote:
    thumb.gif

Thanks! :):
    My SmugMug Gallery