Canon Irvine

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Cameras
Has anyone else had a problem with the Canon repair center in Irvine taking forever to fix a camera?

They've had my 5D for about a month now to replace the sensor.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    No experience, sorry to hear about your sensor. What happened?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    No experience, sorry to hear about your sensor. What happened?

Got a little dirt in the camera on the southwest trip, probably from Antelope Canyon.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Got a little dirt in the camera on the southwest trip, probably from Antelope Canyon.
    Ed, I've always had a great rapport with the Irvine facility. But when it comes to repairs, I've only had one major thing done (blew out my motor on my 24-70) and it did take 10 days.

The solution of course, is to get the expedited service offered to pros (CPS). Canon's program for pros is free if you can qualify* for the service. They usually can prequalify you for the service on the phone at 516-328-4833 or 949-753-4313 (The Southern California/Central Cali contact) or email them at cpsloan@cusa.canon.com

The catch is "officially" that you are required to be a pro. I dont know if that will help you in the interm, but at least you will be set for future encounters Ed. Good luck!

This is from the application form below FYI

CREDENTIALS: Eligibility for CPS requires that sufficient evidence to substantiate your professional status be submitted. Please use the following guidelines:

I. WORKING PRESS:
    • Three tear sheets of work published within the past year.
    • A copy of current press credentials.
    • A letter on letterhead from editor or bureau chief stating your staff or contract position.

II. FREELANCE:
    Canon understands that this is a broad category encompassing many different fields of photography. Therefore, please provide us with any four of the items listed below that best illustrates your particular field of photography as proof of eligibility for CPS.

• Three tear sheets of work published within the past year.
    • A copy of current press credentials.
    • A letter on letterhead from editor or bureau chief stating your staff or contract position.
    • Samples of studio letterhead, promo cards, brochures, price lists, etc.
    • Three samples of recent work.
    • Two letters from clients stating they have used your photographic services within the past year.
    • Two copies of P.O.s, invoices, etc. from clients within the past year.
    • Copies of current membership cards from professional photo organizations (ASMP, APP., APNY, etc.).

III. COMMERCIAL / STUDIO:
    • Samples of studio letterhead, promo cards, brochures, price lists, etc.
    • Three samples of recent work.
    • Two letters from clients stating they have used your photographic services within the past year.
    • Copies of current membership cards from professional photo organizations (ASMP, APP., APNY, etc.).

IV. GOVERNMENT I EDUCATION:
    • Letter from supervisor / department head stating your position on staff and the type of photographic work done.
    • Copy of agency / company ID card.
    • Three samples of current work.
    • Copies of current membership cards from photo organizations (ASMP, NPPA, PPA, etc.).

V. MISCELLANEOUS:
    • Please send as many credentials as possible to verify your professional standing and a letter stating the kind of photography done.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Whatever problem there might be with the Canon facility, I hope it has nothing to do with the fine town of Irvine! The funny thing is that I live in Irvine but shoot Nikon and have to drive all the way to Redondo Beach for the Nikon Service Center, lol...

One thing I might note is that everywhere I go, photography related or not, "we'll call you when it's done" is never the case. I think maybe once or twice in my life have I gotten that call, but in most cases I've waited days past the estimated completion, only to get fed up and call them and find that they were done days ago and just didn't call me. So, I hope you're keeping in touch with your service centers, everybody! A quick call every other day could save you a lot of time in the long run.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited July 4, 2006
    Well, the Canon, Irvine saga continues. ( nothing againt Irvine ). I got my camera back from them on Friday, finally got a chance to go out and shoot with it yesterday and this is what is across the bottom of my pictures.

79490188-L.jpg

I think the scratch was less noticable. I have tried cleaning it but no luck. I guess the phone calls start again tomorrow.

From my experience, avoid the Irvine repair facility if you can.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    That's really disappointing...I live in Orange and would probably have used that facility. Let us know how this is resolved. After waiting a month, I would be extremely upset!!! :splat
    edited July 4, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    That's really disappointing...I live in Orange and would probably have used that facility. Let us know how this is resolved. After waiting a month, I would be extremely upset!!! :splat

I'll be sure to let you know, and yeah, upset might be one way of putting it..
    edited July 9, 2006
    Update.
    Canon Irvine emailed me a FedEx label and asked me to send it back to them. So, as of 7/7 it back in the shop. Crossing my fingers that it comes back in a littler better shape than it did last time.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    At least they mailed you a label!!! That's a start in the right direction! Good Luck! thumb.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Ed, I spoke with Jacob the Canon tech in Irvine over the phone several times in the past and he has always been very helpful in these situations. If the problem persists again, might I recommend to you to ask for him personally? I think he is a great person who really does work hard for customers. Hope it all goes well for you thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 17, 2006
    Well, the camera came back today, went out and took a few shots of clear blue sky and crossed my fingers..

Long story short , after a cleaning the sensor looks good, apparently what was on the underside of the low pass filter was grease. They replace the filter again and everything looks pretty good. We'll see what happens after I have time to go out and shoot but it looks like I may have a happy ending to my saga..
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Well, the camera came back today, went out and took a few shots of clear blue sky and crossed my fingers..

Long story short , after a cleaning the sensor looks good, apparently what was on the underside of the low pass filter was grease. They replace the filter again and everything looks pretty good. We'll see what happens after I have time to go out and shoot but it looks like I may have a happy ending to my saga..

Cool! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    SO how did grease get under the filter??

When my 1DsMkll returned from Canon Factory Service in Jamesburg New Jersey the sensor was spotless and they replaced the shutter. I wondered how clean the sensor would be when returned so I checked it as soon as it returned.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 18, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    SO how did grease get under the filter??

When my 1DsMkll returned from Canon Factory Service in Jamesburg New Jersey the sensor was spotless and they replaced the shutter. I wondered how clean the sensor would be when returned so I checked it as soon as it returned.

My guess would be that I had a new tech working on my camera the first time. But, who knows?