Options

A funny thing happened to me on my way to work today ...

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited November 19, 2004 in Holy Macro
Well, not really on my way to work - I was on my way to the framing shop to pickup a photo I gave to frame.
Anyway, the framing woman left a note on the door "I will be right back" so I had time to take a few photos. And what do I have on my mind? Humor obviously!

I saw this great sign in the upper left corner of the frame:

11215576-M.jpg
Now either I need to start taking pictures elsewhere, or you guys need to learn to read Hebrew.:lol
The sign says:
"Once there was an ENGRAVER sign here
but the municipality began charging taxes so I removed it".

I found the sign humorous and framed it with the engraver's shop. I waited a few seconds for the man with the haircut (:ear ) to step into the frame.

After I shot the photo he asked if he should smile. I told him I smiled when I saw the sign. Then he asked if I was a photographer? I pulled my shoulders back, straightened my posture and said "yes!". He asked if I wanted to visit his studio. The framing lady hadn't returned yet so I said "why not". It turns out his name is Rakia and he is a painter (50 years!). His work can be seen at http://www.israelartguide.co.il/davidgallery/david/dcatalog.html. I got a private tour of his studio, his work, and paintings he is preparing for an exhibition next week at the Jerusalem Artists House.

In the mean time the framing lady got back, I picked up my beautiful photo very elegantly framed and set back home. This photo was actually purchased by my wife as a gift but I think we will both have a hard time parting with it (maybe we will begin looking for another gift:rofl ). If I had better lighting conditions perhaps I could display it in a way that would do justice to it. But I don't and I do want to show you guys it's elegance -

11215577-M.jpg

For anyone that doesn't recognise it, this is 'Rainy Walk to Work' by Andy Williams! Andy's original is here: http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/52248/1/3489165/Large (Andy, if you have any objection at all, please let me know and I will take it down immediately.)

I had a great morning!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    That's funny, nice shot too thumb.gif
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif That is just too funny! I love it!:roll
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    Sell that photo...
    ...to the tabloids...they can run it under the headline:

Albert Einstein still alive!

rolleyes1.gif

Great shot, great sign, great story and I love the look of life on that guy's face. He looks like a wonderful person. I hope his showing goes well.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2004
    Thanks guys!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2004
    I love the sign and everything it represents!!! Kudos to the engraver thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    Ani midaber kitzat Yvreet...
    But I'm glad you translated the sign, but all I got out of it was

Haya= was
    Shel= of
    Al= on

And my Hebrew is so rusty, that some of that is probably wrong or off. As it is, I am not exactly skilled at reading Hebrew without the vowels.

Ah well...

Shalom Alechem
    A salaam aleikem (or however it is spelled)

The fact that the Hebrew and Arab phrases for peace is so close together should be the easiest convincer that Jews and Arabs are brothers, and should cut the crap and start getting along. That's my political statement for today...
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2004
    But I'm glad you translated the sign, but all I got out of it was

Haya= was
    Shel= of
    Al= on

And my Hebrew is so rusty, that some of that is probably wrong or off. As it is, I am not exactly skilled at reading Hebrew without the vowels.

Ah well...

Shalom Alechem
    A salaam aleikem (or however it is spelled)

The fact that the Hebrew and Arab phrases for peace is so close together should be the easiest convincer that Jews and Arabs are brothers, and should cut the crap and start getting along. That's my political statement for today...
    Heyy! That's not bad! Maybe if I upload some more for you to practice on you can become fluent ... mwink.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    Nir,
    I think you should have entered that in the humor contest. Sometimes I think about it when I am not online at all.

I like it a lot!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 19, 2004
    How cool Nir clap.gif What a funny story (and I liked his haircut, or lack thereof...lol). Andy and I were jsut talking about you buying this print, last week. IMO, you did an awesome job choosing a frame. I know the pic can't convey it's beauty as well as seeing it in person, but it looks lovely and must be stunning up close. It's going to look great hung on a wall thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero