Photoshop 4.0

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited June 28, 2006 in Finishing School
Is 4.0 the most recent one you can buy in the stores? Maybe I'm completely wrong, it's just the one that I've been seeing in WalMart and Office Depot for between 70-100 dollars - is that the good one that is really neat and has all of the features that y'all are discussing in this forum? I just need this cleared up - cause I really want to get it, but want to make it's feature filled and is exactly what I want...Thanks for information (in advance).

oh, yeah, one more thing - what's Adobe Illustrator? I saw it in Office Depot for about 600 dollars or so...is that the right thing or not...? If you can't tell, I'm not an adobe photoshop pro....that's why I'm here: to try to learn more about it so I can improve my artsy photos.

Thanks a ton,

Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    What you're seeing is Photoshop Elements, a dang fine program for the money. The full-blown PS is v9 (called CS2) and is $600 for full retail.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    how do you think photoshop elements compares to Microsoft Digital Pro 9? Really, what I'm looking for is a more powerful program (I currently have MDP9) that I can do the "make pictures pop" - those instruction things and stuff like that. do you think this will fill the void, or should I wait and save up for the CS2.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
    edited June 28, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    how do you think photoshop elements compares to Microsoft Digital Pro 9? Really, what I'm looking for is a more powerful program (I currently have MDP9) that I can do the "make pictures pop" - those instruction things and stuff like that. do you think this will fill the void, or should I wait and save up for the CS2.

- RE

I have no idea how they compare. You can do most of what we do with Elements. It doesn't support curves or LAB, AFAIK. But you should be fine, otherwise. I believe there is a hack for it to allow curves, though I may be wrong.

The one good thing about Elements is that it's so similar to the full version of PS, you'd be starting your learning curve. Also, it's cheap.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 28, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    oh, yeah, one more thing - what's Adobe Illustrator?

Illustrator is for drawing with lines, like drafting or cartooning. Or tracing your photos. You can't do much to photos with it, but it's as powerful for line drawing as Photoshop is for photos/painting.

Photoshop Elements 4 is extremely powerful if you are a beginner - a great bargain. Photoshop CS2 is much more powerful still, but a beginner would probably be wasting money on it unless photography is going to be a career or serious hobby.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 28, 2006
    pse 4.0 plus one of those cool crappy little cameras- $44.00-

saw another for $55.00-

google and go-

just make sure your getting a licensed product--it looked legit-

http://www.clickcooldeals.com/show_detail.php?item_id=294

george