Smug Dilemma

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited June 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
http://standoutphoto.smugmug.com/help/reporting

oiy!:rolleyes what should i do? i've never encountered something like this before and my parents are pretty hinky about sending out my Social Security number. and how would this work since i'm under-age?

thanks guys,
Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

oiy!rolleyes1.gif what should i do? i've never encountered something like this before and my parents are pretty hinky about sending out my Social Security number. and how would this work since i'm under-age?

thanks guys,
    Daniel

You must fax us the form, Daniel, or we can't pay you. IRS Rules, not ours.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You must fax us the form, Daniel, or we can't pay you. IRS Rules, not ours.

right, but how does it work since i'm underage?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited June 29, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    right, but how does it work since i'm underage?ne_nau.gif
    The IRS doesn't discriminate against age. Income is income deal.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

oiy!rolleyes1.gif what should i do? i've never encountered something like this before and my parents are pretty hinky about sending out my Social Security number. and how would this work since i'm under-age?

thanks guys,
    Daniel

Daniel, this is no different than getting a job somewhere. The job application would require you to disclose your social security number so that when you are paid, your income can be properly reported. It's the same for Smugmug. When you get paid they have to report the income. Your parents need to trust Smugmug with your social security number similarly like they would need to trust any local establishment that you might get a job with. That decision is obviously up to you and your parents, but that's the way it works if you want to get paid profits.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Daniel, this is no different than getting a job somewhere. The job application would require you to disclose your social security number so that when you are paid, your income can be properly reported. It's the same for Smugmug. When you get paid they have to report the income. Your parents need to trust Smugmug with your social security number similarly like they would need to trust any local establishment that you might get a job with. That decision is obviously up to you and your parents, but that's the way it works if you want to get paid profits.

thanks all for answering my questions. Kinda new to this since i dont' really have another job besides mowing my grandpa and neighbors lawns.:D

so next question, will they take out income taxes thenne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited June 29, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

No, we just report the earnings to the IRS.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    thanks all for answering my questions. Kinda new to this since i dont' really have another job besides mowing my grandpa and neighbors lawns.:D

Welcome to the wonderful world of paying taxes! On the positive side, I believe (I am not a CPA so just a guess) that you don't have to report it yourself Daniel, or pay taxes on it, until it is $600/year.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    On the note of taxes... I was wondering if I can slip in a quick questions.

I don't have enough sales right now to worry but is SmugMug paying/charging the sales tax or do I need to claim it?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
    edited June 29, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    On the note of taxes... I was wondering if I can slip in a quick questions.

I don't have enough sales right now to worry but is SmugMug paying/charging the sales tax or do I need to claim it?
    We collect, and remit, sales taxes on sales made in California (so if the buyer is in California). You don't have to worry about that.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We collect, and remit, sales taxes on sales made in California (so if the buyer is in California). You don't have to worry about that.

SWEET! You guys are awesome, over and over again!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin