Fountain Photos

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited July 1, 2006 in People
I rarely post as I'm pretty busy, but I thought I would share these shots I took on vacation in Knoxville, TN.

This young man was having a blast.
78563744-L.jpg

78563745-L.jpg

78563742-L.jpg

My little girl and her cousin.
78563741-L.jpg
C & C welcome. I know I'm not the best at providing feedback, but I'd love some input.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• MrPeepers310MrPeepers310 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    78563744-L.jpg

^ this one has to be the best! The range of expression is classic when i first saw it i was completly laughing cause i can utterly tell what the kid is feeling great shot!
    The second and 3rd shot im not to particular about cause you cant see his face which totally takes the whole personality out of the shot.
    And the last one is cute of course. My experience is that if you shoot babies (with a camera :oogle ) the shot will always come out "cute"
    Good Work my friend!
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006

^ this one has to be the best! The range of expression is classic when i first saw it i was completly laughing cause i can utterly tell what the kid is feeling great shot!
    The second and 3rd shot im not to particular about cause you cant see his face which totally takes the whole personality out of the shot.
    And the last one is cute of course. My experience is that if you shoot babies (with a camera :oogle ) the shot will always come out "cute"
    Good Work my friend!

Thanks for the comments. I think you're right on the 1st shot. I really liked the mood of the 3rd one though.

I'm a little biases, but I'd agree that I have a lot of really cute photos of my little girl.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    I couldn't agree more. That first shot is fantastic!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Nicely done! Just a suggestion ... On the first shot, how about taking a look at a tighter crop ... crop in on the left and right to only show waterfall and up from the bottom to eliminate the grill as best as possible. This may also be interesting in B&W with a bit more contrast. Regardless of my suggestions ... this is a very very nice photo ... good job.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Nicely done! Just a suggestion ... On the first shot, how about taking a look at a tighter crop ... crop in on the left and right to only show waterfall and up from the bottom to eliminate the grill as best as possible. This may also be interesting in B&W with a bit more contrast. Regardless of my suggestions ... this is a very very nice photo ... good job.

signed
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    donek wrote:
    78563744-L.jpg

This is really a great shot. I dont know if I would like it as much in B&W as someone sugjested, the only thing I would do is maybe a vertical crop (since the action is going north to south that sort of aspect ratio.
    But its a really really cool shot, between the facial expression and the parts of his body that break up the waster flow, and the slightly extended exposure on teh water, its great!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Hey Sean,
    Did you take those shots this week? If so, that number 1 would be a great submission to Challenge 68 "Blur".

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    All of these images are great, but the first is just plain awesome. The composition is really nice and the crop is perfect to show the coloration of the stones. Love them all.
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine
    edited June 30, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:

I tried number 3 in B&W, but have so little experience converting I wasn't too impressed. I tried your suggestion on the crop. It does get rid of that annoying white object behind the fall. I was kind of partial to the mossy rocks, but this looks good to me as well.
    78764449-L.jpg
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited June 30, 2006
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Hey Sean,
    Did you take those shots this week? If so, that number 1 would be a great submission to Challenge 68 "Blur".

Mike
    I was all excited because I finally had something that would work for the challenge, but it's a couple days outside the time frame. Too bad.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Hey, no worries. With the fouth coming up, look for some cool long exposures with friends and family and fireworks...should add a lot of fun to the contest!

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Great shots!
    I think the 3 shots of the boy under the waterfall would make a great storyboard... love that first shot!

As for the picture of your daughter.... terrific! You have a good reason for loving it!

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Great shots. I like the tighter crop. It focuses attention on the boy, who has a wonderful expression.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Personally, I love the first three! Just love, love his expression. And the body language in the second two are just so cool....

Honestly, I don't like the crop as much - I like the context that shows more of where he was. He is such a pull of focus in the shot that it's totally about him - even with the distraction of the rocks....

Gosh, I'd love to play this into B&W, but I also think the colors of the rocks are amazing...clap.gif

Last one is cute, but a bit too "snapshotty" to me.... ne_nau.gif
    edited July 1, 2006
    It looks like there's a definite split on the crop. Based on the fact that the original is cropped in a bit and the tighter crop further reduces print resolution, I'll probably stick with the original.

Thanks for all the feedback. The comments and critique is great.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2006
    donek wrote:
    I tried number 3 in B&W, but have so little experience converting I wasn't too impressed. I tried your suggestion on the crop. It does get rid of that annoying white object behind the fall. I was kind of partial to the mossy rocks, but this looks good to me as well.
    78764449-L.jpg

Yes, yes, yes, I love this one. His expression is what explains what is going on, and there is nothing outside this frame to help the composition or explain the setting, we don't need it.

He is in sensory overload as the water pounds his body, and his arms and hands and face show that "he loves it" and that's all we need to know.

This is a great moment and I thank you for sharing it with us.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AngeliaAngelia Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    WOW....thats all I can say....I adore the first shot....so refreshing!
    Angelia