Options

ch. 68: What kids see in a carousel

MrPeepers310MrPeepers310 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited July 6, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this at my local mall, the little girl just happened to be standing there as i proped my camera on top of a trash can.

78644374-M.jpg

What do ya think?
Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    I LOVE it......mebbe....just my thoughts....do a wee little bit of cropping to get rid of the other persons knees, and on the other side to keep the little girl centered.......so she looks alone. You could pull the edges out with "perspective" in photoshop type programs to get rid of the knees.....
    was just my thoughts

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Excellent shot. This is the kind of thing I had in mind when I saw the challenge topic. Definitely get rid of that guy's legs, plus the crop would also remove that door out of the picture and would help center the carousel since it's clipped on the left side.

edit: just a minor thing, I would remove that whatever-it-is on the back of the kid's shirt to make it a nice solid red shirt.
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    great shot. this definitely captures a wonderful moment.

definitely crop the legs out on the right. keep the focus on the girl and the carousel only.

cant hurt to try a B&W conversion. and a border is always good in my opinion, no matter color or not.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    wow, i like it. :):
    I too have a feeling this would work nicely in b&w.
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Agree with all the above except B/W conversion. The red shirt makes her stand out nicely. Maybe try a vertical composition with your crop. NICEthumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 1, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Agree with all the above except B/W conversion. The red shirt makes her stand out nicely. Maybe try a vertical composition with your crop. NICEthumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

I think this was a perfect opportunity to turn the camera 90` to portrait, capturing the top of the carousel and the child's feet. That might have made her seem more "alone" in the shot.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Gosh, I'd crop it so that she's in the right third of the photo... To me a little more alone than centered... Maybe a 10x8 crop?

Awesome shot! Definitely should be entered!!!
  • Options
    MrPeepers310MrPeepers310 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    so do you think i stand a chance?
    Tahnks for all the help! I cropped the guys legs out but the little girl is in the right third of the photo. im gonna keep it color cause most of the competition peices are color. But honestly do you think it could stand a chance in the challenge?
  • Options
    dancing-hedgehogdancing-hedgehog Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    But honestly do you think it could stand a chance in the challenge?
    You won't find out unless you try! mwink.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif I personally really like this shot (cropped!)
    Tammy :):
  • Options
    CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I agree, you never know till you try. I think the shot is great. It really caught my eye. And as far as I know, which isn't much, that is what it's all about.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Another angle
    I don't know if you have a chance to re-shoot but you might want to try a picture of the girl on the m g r with her and what she is riding in focus and the outside world spinning in a blur!

Deacon
  • Options
    trossnageltrossnagel Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    What a fantastic image - just fantastic!

There are moments in this digital photography/web forum/sharing world of ours where you run across an image that makes you want to go out and take photos - this is one of them!

Great eye...thumb.gif
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Love the cropped photo you entered in the contest thumb.gif

Xtopherous wrote:
    edit: just a minor thing, I would remove that whatever-it-is on the back of the kid's shirt to make it a nice solid red shirt.
    +1 on solid red shirt.