Options

canon si is or canon a95

jbudjbud Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 12, 2004 in Cameras
Which would you pick? I am getting one free and wanted to know which camera would be recommended the most. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 15, 2004
    I think that I am going to go with the SI IS since noone here has any opinion on the two. Lots of people looking but no advice.
    jbud wrote:
    Which would you pick? I am getting one free and wanted to know which camera would be recommended the most. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Whoa, sorry jbud, missed this one. Getting one or the other for free? That's a cool deal!

Tough choice. To me, it's the choice between high zoom/image stablilzation... and high resolution/manual controls.

Hmmmm. Given what I already have, I reckon I'd go for the travel factor and get the S1. A good all around camera, except when the light's low. Easy to travel with, and that big, stable zoom is cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2004
    Thanks wxwax,

That is kind of what I was thinking. I'm not too serious about the cammera thing, but I do like to take pictures of the kid (8 month old boy). Thank god for digital cameras, otherwise I might be broke from developing film. But, when it is free, I want to get the best available camera.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

by the way (it was free from a marketing company that hosts a website that gives you a free item for signing up and getting other people to sign up under you)

also trying for a lower end a75 - but not having as much success.

wxwax wrote:
    Whoa, sorry jbud, missed this one. Getting one or the other for free? That's a cool deal!

Tough choice. To me, it's the choice between high zoom/image stablilzation... and high resolution/manual controls.

Hmmmm. Given what I already have, I reckon I'd go for the travel factor and get the S1. A good all around camera, except when the light's low. Easy to travel with, and that big, stable zoom is cool.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    Hmmm, keep us updated on that "free' offer. I'm curious to see if the whole process works to your satisfaction.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    doyledoyle Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    I'd also go with the SI. I have an A80 that I love, but I find the 3X zoom to be very lacking. I's love the 10X. Either way you end up with a good camera.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    I have an A70 and, although the quality and camera rock, the zooming motor could be better. It's really hard to zoom and then tweak the zoom in small increments. It only does it at one speed and you gotta have good reflexes to know when to stop. Not sure if they fixed this in the A95.

Another note, prior to the A70 (and rebel) my 1st camera was an Olympus D460. That camera was amazing at focusing. Frankly, it blows my A70 out of the water. Focusing on the A70 is very hit and miss. Again I'm not sure if this was resolved on the A95.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    Thanks a lot for all the information. I do have all of my referrals completed for my offer, but I am waiting on 2 others that signed up under me to be accepted and I can also get a 512mb CF card. If anyone is interested, I can point you to the site, but you'll have to PM or email me. I already tried to post it here once and it was "against the rules and deleted." Oops.

Anyways, I have a A40 also and it really is outdated and the focusing is getting terrible in the sun.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    jbud wrote:
    I already tried to post it here once and it was "against the rules and deleted." Oops.

Not true. Your post was moved here because it did not fit in the Flea Market, you were not selling anything.

I have an S1 and like it a lot. I think you only need to decide if you want a long lens or more megapixels. It is a fun camera for me so the long lens and video capability was more important to me than mpx.

Good luck with you deal and congratulations on getting a free camera and card. Let us know when you get it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    An update for you - I received my FREE Canon S1 IS on friday, December 10th. Pretty quick, considering I placed my order on 11/22. My account at the free site then had to be verified as legitimate and that all of my referrals were legitimate. They sent it via UPS on 12/8 and arrived 12/10. It also looks like they used Ecost as their vendor.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. I know of 2 different sites offering cameras.

jbud

Good luck with you deal and congratulations on getting a free camera and card. Let us know when you get it. thumb.gif