Card won't read...

KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited July 1, 2006 in Cameras
Hope I am in the right forum for this...My Daughter came over with her little Canon G1 and proceeded to use my card reader and show me some of her work...I left her and she saved some of the good shots to my hard drive...she proceeded to clean the card of images...but then upon putting the card back in the camera the camera can't find it...tryed to reformat...but because the camera thinks there is no card, it won't reformat???

Help!!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 30, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    Hope I am in the right forum for this...My Daughter came over with her little Canon G1 and proceeded to use my card reader and show me some of her work...I left her and she saved some of the good shots to my hard drive...she proceeded to clean the card of images...but then upon putting the card back in the camera the camera can't find it...tryed to reformat...but because the camera thinks there is no card, it won't reformat???

Help!!!

The first thing to try is putting the card back in the card reader on your PC to see if it can see the card. If it can, try to format the card on the PC. Depending on the size of the card, it may format improperly for the camera, but at least you will know if there is a problem with the card.

If it does format on the PC, let us know the capacity of the card.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    ...where did my card go?
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If it does format on the PC, let us know the capacity of the card.ziggy53

Thanks ziggy53...it was only a small card...I did not want to fool with it and mess up my computer...cards are sooo cheap these days. I bought her a bigger one and she is happy.

Interesting how things come down in price. When I bought my first media card it was over $300CDN for a 64MB. Last week I bought a 1GB for less than $100. Thats also about the same ratio as electronic gear.

Has there ever been a poll on this board about what brand of memory card folks a buying and the size?
    edited July 1, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    Has there ever been a poll on this board about what brand of memory card folks a buying and the size?

There has been some discussion, but I tend to use this site for a reference for my Canon XT:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

I usually buy the better SanDisk, but yesterday I ordered a 2G Kingston Elite Pro (50x) for $65USD just to test. Performance vs cost it looks like a pretty good value.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    There has been some discussion, but I tend to use this site for a reference for my Canon XT:
    I usually buy the better SanDisk, but yesterday I ordered a 2G Kingston Elite Pro (50x) for $65USD just to test. Performance vs cost it looks like a pretty good value. ziggy53

...yes you are right...not the right place for a poll.

My thinking was...regardless of the camera the memory was going into. It is interesting how some brands have terrific following.

Good pricing on the 2G...but I have a thought about large memory...I maybe off base with it but then again I have been known as a worry wart!

Just buying the new camera I needed memory...the fellow behind the counter was showing me 2G for $130CDN...he thought I was off my rocker when I said I would prefer to have a few memory sticks than one large one.

My feeling is that on a 2G there is a huge amount of info and if something ever went wrong, I would prefer to loose only 512MB...so I carry four sticks with me the largest being 1G.

Am I just paranoid, do you think my logic is way off base?
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Thinking
    It also gives you four more chances to loose or damage your memory.MMMMMMMMMMMMMM?
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited July 1, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...yes you are right...not the right place for a poll.

My bad. I meant the following "link" I provided was where I get my information about compatability and speed.

DGrinners don't mind polls at all. :):
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...My thinking was...regardless of the camera the memory was going into. It is interesting how some brands have terrific following.

Good pricing on the 2G...but I have a thought about large memory...I maybe off base with it but then again I have been known as a worry wart!

Just buying the new camera I needed memory...the fellow behind the counter was showing me 2G for $130CDN...he thought I was off my rocker when I said I would prefer to have a few memory sticks than one large one.

My feeling is that on a 2G there is a huge amount of info and if something ever went wrong, I would prefer to loose only 512MB...so I carry four sticks with me the largest being 1G.

Am I just paranoid, do you think my logic is way off base?

I used to be much more cautious, "too many eggs in one basket" sort of thing.

The other problem was off-loading the cards. A 512M card fits onto a CD nicely. A 1G card gets split onto more than one CD. Kind of a hassle. The Kingston card is my first 2G. CDs are probably not the best option to handle it.

I got a bargain on a fairly fast DVD+- burner last year and put it in my second fastest machine. Works great and DVD-R is pretty cheap.

I'm still going to be cautious with the Kingston card because they have a slightly less reputation for quality compared to SanDisk or Lexar. I think you are quite logical being cautious.

BTW, this wasn't the best pricing on the Kingston, but I was ordering some other stuff and decided ordering seperately and extra shipping from another vendor didn't make sense.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53