Options

Tripod question

lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited November 12, 2004 in Accessories
I've read through the tripod thread and thus discovered there is something called a "quick release" that can be attached to your camera and then to the tripod. Currently I can't change the battery on my Nikon 5700 when it's screwed onto the tripod (the battery compartment is on the bottom of the camera which is blocked by the tripod). Is there such a thing as a "quick release" for this camera that will still allow me to change batteries quickly and with ease when mounted on the tripod? (Providing I have the proper tripod which currently I'm sure it is not.) Can you suggest any quick releases and tripods that would work for me? Yes, I'm a beginner--an unsteady one--and need quality accessory help! Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    I would suggest that you get 2300 rechargeable batteries, so you don't need battery acces whilst camera is on the tripod.
    If you have a set of 2300 ampere batteries, they should take you a LOOONNG time to get drained. I don't suppose you leave your camera on your tripod for 24 hours in a row do you????
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    Man, what kind of 2300 rechargables are you using. May just be my camera, but I use 2300's, of which my camera takes 4 at a time. Those 4 are just to run the electronics in the camera. There is a seperate set of 123's that run the AF and shutter. Anyways, four 2300's will only normaly last me around 200 shots with the camera set on the highest resolution. Once again though this may just be my camera..

Although, to answer lambads question.. The quick release you read about is actually a quick release plate that screws into the bottom of your camera and is inserted into the top of the head of the tripod. It totally depends on what type of head you get as to what kind of quick release mechanism is involved. I own a Manfrotto monopod with just a very simple tilt head that has a quick release on it. The quick release is a locking level that you push forward to release the plate and camera attached to it off the head. I have bought a Manfrotto tripod and head also that I am still waiting to get in the mail that has the same exact quick release mechanism. Very simple to operate and allows you to remove the camera from the tripod very quickly while at the same time keeps the camera very securely attached to the tripod when locked. I could probably get my camera off the head in less than a second from the completely locked position, but it is still almost impossible to separate the camera from the head by accident when locked. Very nice feature for times when you may want to get a shot without the tripod and not have much time to react or to get the caera off the tripod in the case that you might have setup in a not so wise spot and the tripod looses its footing, allows the tripod to fall over with you getting your camera off before it does so.

About the battery situation. With or without quick release your going to have the same battery problem due to the location of the battery compartment. Maybe longer battery life with different batteries is the answer.

I hope this very long winded answer helped in some way.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    Thanks for your responses. Uhhh, 2300 amperes? Yes, I know what amps are, kinda, but the battery itself is a Nikon EN-EL1. Doesn't say anything about how many amps. I can get an MB-E5700 Battery Pack that takes six LR6 (AA) batteries, which will last longer I guess.

Anyway, yes it does appear I'd have the same problem whether or not I have the quick release, because the quick release itself would then block the battery compartment. No, I don't leave my camera on the tripod 24-7. Just occasionally, depending on what's around to shoot.

So.... if i want my batteries to last awhile (could be half/day or more at times) guess i won't be able to use the LCD monitor much to learn/view the histograms.

So... if i keep up with this photo-shooting stuff, guess this camera may not be THE ONE after all!

Thank you.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    I think I have the wrong idea about your camera Lambad... I thought it was a small point and shoot, not a digital SLR. Digital SLR's need huge batteries, even 2300 would not help a lot I am afraid.
    I suggested freshly 2300 batteries put in just before you shoot, if you leave the camera on without the LCD that should take you a whole afternoon.
    I think that your Nikon battery is a heavy battery already.

Mike his answer made clear that indeed your problem is not really the tripod but the place where the batteries go, blocked off by a tripod.

As to you Mike, I used 2300 batteries (2 of them) in my minolta dimage 7I, and I could easily shoot a whole day, with switching on and off, and using the LCD screen all the time. If you know I easy shoot 300 pics a day, this is not too bad for two small batteries.
    I hoped that this fact could have helped Lambad. That was before I read about the release. Thanks for explaining that.
    The more I know the more I learn that I don't know enough... :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    I took a minute to find a picture of the bottom of your camera. I do not have one myself so I could not measure it and I am guessing at the scale, but the battery compartment is off to one side.

I have a bogen tripod with a "quick release plate". From the center of the camera mount pin to the outside edge of the plate is exaclty 1 ".

If from the center of your mounting hole to the edge of the battery door is greater than 1", you could use this plate without removing the plate to change batteries. I have a Nikon D100 and it has a plate on it at all times. I can open the door with it on. I know your body is a little smaller so you would have to check.

For a look at the system I am talking about click HERE
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 12, 2004
    lambad wrote:
    I've read through the tripod thread and thus discovered there is something called a "quick release" that can be attached to your camera and then to the tripod. Currently I can't change the battery on my Nikon 5700 when it's screwed onto the tripod (the battery compartment is on the bottom of the camera which is blocked by the tripod). Is there such a thing as a "quick release" for this camera that will still allow me to change batteries quickly and with ease when mounted on the tripod? (Providing I have the proper tripod which currently I'm sure it is not.) Can you suggest any quick releases and tripods that would work for me? Yes, I'm a beginner--an unsteady one--and need quality accessory help! Thank you.

base-001.jpg

From the appearance of the bottom of the 5700, I believe a bracket from www.reallyrightstuff.com might work, and allow you to change the battery without emoving the bracket. You will also need some form of Arca-Swiss style quick release clamps for the tripod. -

But a tripod is really much happier with a nice Ballhead with an Arca-Swiss clamp anyway. The first thing I do with a new tripod is get a GOOD Arca-Swiss ballhead. The first thing I do with a new camera is get a good Arca-Swiss plate to fit the ball head.

B5700top.jpg

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/body_plates/nikon/index.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    What they said. With a quick release, you still have to screw a plate to the bottom of your camera. Depending upon the plate you buy, and the location of your battery compartment, you might have room left over to open the battery compartment. That's how it workd out on my Canon G3, as I recall.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au