AF point accuracy with Canon 30D

DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited July 2, 2006 in Cameras
I’m looking to see if anyone else has come across an issue like this and/or can offer advice or suggestions.

I just upgraded from a 300D to a 30D (received the body last night) and I’ve come across something odd with focusing on AF Points.

After selecting away from the center AF Point to help frame and shoot birds on a feeder behind my house, the 30D wouldn’t grab focus on a point unless I moved it from the head of the bird and to the body. I literally sat for two to three minutes with the lens (70-200mm 2.8 IS) hunting back and forth in broad daylight unable to settle on the head of the bird. I then switched out bodies to my 300D, set a side AF Point and it grabbed and focused right away.

Any thoughts on what would cause this? Am I just very used to my 300D and the 30D requires steadier hand-holding to acquire an AF Point? :dunno

-Dante
-Troy (Dante)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2006
    Dante,

I was hoping someone with a more similar model equipment experience to yours would reply, but they're probably ramping up for the weekend. :):

It does sound odd, but without seeing the operation of the camera myself, it's really hard to diagnose.

I can describe how "I" would approach the situation.

See if the problem can be duplicated on a static scene. Try to find something similar to what you observed, or create a scene with the visible elements/objects similar to that which you observed.

See if the problem is "symmetrical". By that, I mean if the same qualities are observed for equivalent focus dots left and right, then at least it is consistent and equal for both sides, and may be just a difference in how the focusing works differently between your two camera bodies.

If it is consistent behavior symmetrically, then it is probably just a difference you can adapt to, or not, if you find it objectionable.

If the problem is asymmetrical, it is most certainly a problem with "that" camera, and you should deal with it as a repair or replace issue.

Keep us posted,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2006
    Dante,

Did you make any progress with this problem?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Hey Ziggy,

While hunting for a cause and cure for the shutter lockup issue that I was having (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37237) I think I have also discovered the reason for my focusing issue. After swapping out the battery I was using the focusing issue (and the lockup problem) seems to have been resolved. I still think that my 30D focuses differently than my 300D (which seems to be able to grab and focus on even the smallest objects for any focal point) but after the battery change I wouldn't call the 30D's AF Point focusing abnormal. I've never read or heard of such problems being caused by a battery before.headscratch.gif

I tested the AF Points on the 30D before and after the battery change and they were all consistent in comparison to each other with the center point being more responsive, as expected.

I'll test more tomorrow to confirm that the issue is indeed gone and give you an update.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and suggestions thumb.gif.

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)