Are storyboards cool here?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited July 3, 2006 in People
Here is my second ever storyboard. (I like it a little more than my first.)

Any CC is always appreciated!

78921217-L.jpg

This is my daughter who got a new jacket from her grandmother. She wasn't really sure about the hood, but I just loved the shots I got because of it....

Thanks!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    I like it!
    Nice work, Andi! thumb.gif And take it from a guy who usually does not like/comment on the kids pictures :):
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    More contrast, please! :)

Owen
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Cool!

I didn't know that's what these were called. I posted one [thread=36350]here[/thread]. I can see why some would say "more contrast". It looks OK like it is, if that's what you were going for. I guess if I were to say anything, it occured to me that the exposure of the jacket material looks darker in the center frame...

I like it, overall.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    More contrast, please! :)

Owen
    I sort of like the low contrast in these. It works with the soft mood of the shots. Your daughter is adorable.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    This is lovely and I like the contrast in this one just as it is. :D I just checked out your childrens' gallery and you have some wonderful stuff in there! I hope to check out the rest, but the site is hung up at the moment. Can I ask you what program do you use to create your storyboard?
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Nice shots. I also like the contrast as it is.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Yea I'm definitely feeling the soft look of the photos I think it goes with the soft looking jacket. Nice job.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Take 2
    Let's see....

I bumped the contrast a tad, but was going for a lower contrast set of images - something softer. I also adjusted the middle image - as Nimai pointed out, it was a little darker. it still is, but that's more a factor of where the light was coming from. I do still want that image to pop a little more, but you'll have ot let me know if it still works...

79029132-L.jpg

Thanks for the other comments on the contrast - I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who liked it. (Although I would have pushed it more if most had liked more!)

Saurora, I use Photoshop Elements 3 and basically just put this together myself. I looked around on other sites to find a nice layout and then just did my own.... If you have more questions, just ask! ;) And thanks for checking out my site! I have a bunch more images to upload, but need to go back through them....

Thank you SO much for your comments! It really helped me out!!
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Great shots. Not everything has to be photographed and rendered in high contrast. The photos are fine and your presentation is well done too.
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    I like the softness of the pictures... would be interested in how they look in color too... if that jacket is a nice soft pink, it would be really sweet...

Nice pictures.... and storyboard.. you've inspired me to try makng one myself ...

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    really love the soft light... can i ask what was the source that lit the baby?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    Cool!

I didn't know that's what these were called.

I would have called it a triptych, but in my business storyboards have a very specific meaning.

triptych |?triptik| noun a picture or relief carving on three panels, typically hinged together side by side and used as an altarpiece. • a set of three associated artistic, literary, or musical works intended to be appreciated together. ORIGIN mid 18th cent.(denoting a set of three writing tablets hinged or tied together): from tri- ‘three,’ on the pattern of diptych.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Thanks...
    As for the lighting, we have an gorgeous old house (1883) that has a wonderful wrap around porch.... I just took the shots there on a cloudy day and got this pretty light.

As for in color, the jacket is white so it's not too exciting... And I found that the brown and green in the background became a little too distracting, even though they were soft.

79248162-L.jpg
    (Because all I did was turn off the "hue/saturation" later, this isn't optimized for color and I find that she looks a bit washed out.... But thought it would illustrate why I went B&W, in this case.)

As for the name "storyboard", I get on two other boards that are specifically for photographing children and that's what they called these. Because they come with any number of images that are generally related to each other to show the whole "story", I think that's where they came up with the name. And because it's not always three, triptych wouldn't be quite appropriate. I honestly find the word "storyboard" a bit confusing as that has many different meanings for me, too.... I just thought it was becoming universal, but I guess not!

Thanks all for your comments!