Problems with my new 30D

DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited July 3, 2006 in Cameras
Having a very sad and depressing experience with my new 30D…

Out of the box two days and now the shutter locks up every 6 – 10 frames. I have to turn the body off and pull the battery out to get the shutter to release.

Any wisdom you can impart on this very sad DGrinner would be greatly appreciated. :cry

-Dante
-Troy (Dante)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 1, 2006
    Dante wrote:
    Having a very sad and depressing experience with my new 30D…

Out of the box two days and now the shutter locks up every 6 – 10 frames. I have to turn the body off and pull the battery out to get the shutter to release.

Any wisdom you can impart on this very sad DGrinner would be greatly appreciated. :cry

-Dante

Do you have the problem with more than one lens?

Is there a fault message (error message) at all?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Possible cause found
    I tried out two other lenses and had the same issue. I also tried another memory card which didn’t help. What appears to have fixed the problem is changing to another battery.ne_nau.gif The battery that I was originally shooting with is about two years old with only light usage on it and it was freshly charged and registering at full strength while in the camera. The camera didn’t give any error messages when the lock-ups occurred.

I'll have to shoot more tomorrow to confirm that the problem is truly gone, (fingers crossed!!) but I was able to fire off about 60 shots without the problem cropping back up again after changing out the battery.

I appreciate your input Ziggy.

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)
    Dante,

I'm so glad you are getting some resolution with your problems. Batteries used to be more problematic in the past than recently, but they are still devices and can fail.

If the questionable battery is the BP-511, from your dRebel 300, it may or may not work on the 30D. The correct battery for the 30D is the BP-511A and, while physically identical, electrically is a little different. The only stated difference is 1100mAh for the BP-511 and 1390mAh for the BP-511A. There may be other differences because other folks have had problems.

I would recommend that, since you have noticed a problem, stick with only the BP-511A in that camera.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    So far so good
    Well, so far so good. I shot all last evening with a 511A and not a hiccup or glitch to be found. clap.gif

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)