Options

The Fisheye Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye
    Haven't seen this lens brought to the party yet. These are the only two that I have online. Both taken with Canon full frame. Little to no "post processing".

The creative possibilities of a fisheye are endless. I like finding opportunities where I can make best use of the maximum distortion created.

I won't offer up a "critique" of the Sigma. It does what I want it to do and it communicates very well with the camera. I haven't had to make major adjustments in the way I setup an exposure.

Oh, and it's fun to use. :D

115920346-L.jpg

115920349-L.jpg
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    All the photos I've seen from the Peleng are pretty decent. It's not a lens where I would expect it to be up to Canon standards, but a lens that's a good value for what you get. I would much rather pay only $200 for decent glass than $800 for super high end glass since it's a specialty lens that I wouldn't use a lot.

Well Canon fisheye actually runs around 500 bucks which aint bad. Personally I would invest in the Canon just because of its clarity and you get no vig on the Canon opposed to the Peleng which is a full circle on full frame slrs.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    ^I would get the Canon if I didn't want as much of a fisheye effect. The 15mm just doesn't have much distorted effect on a 20D. I don't use my film camera very often, so it wouldn't really do me any good. With the Peleng, you get a good amount of distortion with some vignetting. I don't mind the vignetting, since it's expected with a lens as wide as 8mm.

I also wouldn't be doing any type of sports photography (motocross, skateboarding, etc.) with it. If I were then I would definately go for the Canon or one of the Sigma fisheyes.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    K-sinK-sin Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2006
    Here are couple of shots i did with my Canon fisheye at the track.

113236897-L.jpg

113236964-L.jpg

113237040-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    ^I would get the Canon if I didn't want as much of a fisheye effect. The 15mm just doesn't have much distorted effect on a 20D. I don't use my film camera very often, so it wouldn't really do me any good. With the Peleng, you get a good amount of distortion with some vignetting. I don't mind the vignetting, since it's expected with a lens as wide as 8mm.

I also wouldn't be doing any type of sports photography (motocross, skateboarding, etc.) with it. If I were then I would definately go for the Canon or one of the Sigma fisheyes.

Well alot of skate photographers use the fisheye because they love how wide it is, most of them just crop out the vig thats what I did when I shot with it. Its just when you shoot with it, your'e almost guessing whether its gonna be infocus and when its a one time trick, guessin the the focus is something you definitely dont wanna do. I just wish Canon would make like 10mm fisheye, now that would be great thumb.gif .

• Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    These are a couple taken with the Peleng 8mm, in all of these photos I am about a foot away from the subject, this lens is reeeeeeeally w i d e.

JensentiretapRS.jpg
    EvanFrontsideOllieRS.jpg

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 12, 2006
    canon fisheye-

116412966-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Killer shot of Tower Bridge in London, by Simon Frohn:

http://www.i-xs.de/gallery/de/viewImage/147

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

This is a perfect example, of taking something a zillion peeps shoot, and making it unique.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Here's some fisheye photos taken with the Zenitar 16mm on a Canon 5D

It's plenty sharp when stopped down and I like the look of the crazy flare you get during the day.

108144235-L.jpg

108138189-L.jpg

more here: http://ogle.smugmug.com/gallery/2095777
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 17, 2007
    Fish rocks!

155036089-M.jpg

155024829-M.jpg

162400119-M.jpg

In case you can't tell, I dig 'em. All with a Canon 15mm.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    does anyone know anything about the new tokina 10-17 mm fisheye zoom? its pretty cheap here (480 euro) and a zoom fisheye seems handy.. rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    does anyone know anything about the new tokina 10-17 mm fisheye zoom?

Why would you want to zoom a fisheye lens? the whole point is to take it as wide as you can get it, then get really really close!
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited June 18, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    Why would you want to zoom a fisheye lens? the whole point is to take it as wide as you can get it, then get really really close!

A fisheye lens is simply a wide angle lens, designed without correction for curvilinear distortion. A variable fisheye has the advantage of multiple angles of view, the same as any zoom.

A 180 degree angle of view is not always required, or desired.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Fish rocks!

In case you can't tell, I dig 'em. All with a Canon 15mm.

So ian408, what body was the 15mm on? A FF, a 1.3 crop, a 1.6 crop? I am seriously considering this lens and have a few 1.6 crop cameras.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 31, 2007
    bham wrote:
    So ian408, what body was the 15mm on? A FF, a 1.3 crop, a 1.6 crop? I am seriously considering this lens and have a few 1.6 crop cameras.
    In this instance, a 5D. So FF.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Lots of fun
    does anyone know anything about the new tokina 10-17 mm fisheye zoom? its pretty cheap here (480 euro) and a zoom fisheye seems handy.. rolleyes1.gif
    I believe this lens was developed with Pentax, who has had their version with their SMC coatings out for a year or so. You can do a search on the Pentax SLR forum at dpreview and see lots of samples. The Pentax version, at least, looks very sharp and just lots of fun. If I didn't already have a fisheye, I would consider purchasing one.
    M
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007

Pssst, look here for posts from davev. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=67561&page=2
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    thanks for the suggestions, but i think ill go UWA instead of fisheye since i would like to take more 'conventional' shot than fisheye shots. the fisheye is fun but on occasion. ill get something like the pelang for the fun shots. :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    I bought the Peleng 8mm a while back and I dont' use it much at all. It is fun when I actually do, though. Very interesting perspectives. And it didn't cost that much! (~$250)
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2007
    I've always been a sucker for the ultra wide angle, and ever since getting a DSLR I was saving to buy an UWA lens. But then some fisheye lens photos caught my eye and there I was buying a Peleng 8mm fisheye. I have to say this is one fun lens! I use it a lot, and as Andy said: if you're careful, you don't get the distorted horizon. Yes, the optics may not be of highest quality, but the lens more than makes up for that in the creativity and fun departments.
    With a crop camera you get dark corners and I use PS warp tool to get rid of them, which means I stretch the corners instead of cropping off a large portion of the photo.

Here are some examples of the Peleng fisheye+Canon 350D photos:

K23-Komna-229.jpg

K10-Komna-110-HDR.jpg

C17-Cerknisko-189.jpg

P05-polja-089.jpg

M26-StBaska-086.jpg

6. A fun shot :D:
    Z34-polja-181.jpg

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com