San Diego County Fair

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited July 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hey everyone. Some of you may know aobut the thread I posted a while back in the Mind Your Own Business thread about getting photos at the fair. I took my mini tripod with me and set it on top of recycle bins that are around the park. It worked pretty well. Here are the first 3 shots I have processed so far.

78975057-L.jpg

78975056-L.jpg

78979579-L.jpg
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Killer shots Steventhumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    great weldone
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 2, 2006
    very nice Steven, glad you could work out the tripod issue.
    very nice shots, especially #3 thumb.gif
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    78975057-L.jpg

If you did that within the time frame....I see a prime candidate for "Blur"...clap.gifthumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Superb job Steven!!! thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Excellent Steve
    Red Bull wrote:
    Hey everyone. Some of you may know aobut the thread I posted a while back in the Mind Your Own Business thread about getting photos at the fair. I took my mini tripod with me and set it on top of recycle bins that are around the park. It worked pretty well. Here are the first 3 shots I have processed so far.

WOW..... those are fantastic..... love the circular lines that formed from the motion of the rides spinning clap.gif you should be very pleased with this lot.
    Well Done! Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Thank you for all the kind comments everyone.

Jeffro, thanks for suggesting that! I totally forgot aobut the challenges. I even took it in the time frame! Awesome!

I processed 2 more photos.

79056076-L.jpg

79184797-L.jpg
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    These are realy cool shots, thanks for sharing!clap.gif
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I LOVE these!

Our county fairs are starting here and would like to try some night shots. This type of photography would be totally new to me.

Could you manage one tiny suggestion for f-stop and/or shutter speed to
    help me. Thanks.

boogie
    edited July 4, 2006
    boogie wrote:
    I LOVE these!

Our county fairs are starting here and would like to try some night shots. This type of photography would be totally new to me.

Could you manage one tiny suggestion for f-stop and/or shutter speed to
    help me. Thanks.

boogie

What I had to do was set the f-stop to a number that would get me a long enough shutter speed. I pretty much know the cycle of the rides (I'm into these types of things) so I would pick a number based on what part of the cycle the ride was at. You can just do some trial and error, you may just get some good shots! What I have found is that the lights are very bright so you have to use low ISO and a high number f-stop. (16, 22, etc) My shutter speed times vary depending on how fast the ride spins. You can get a very nice blur with a ride that spins quickly. Just experiment and see what you can do!

A word of advice though. You may want to email the fair and ask their policy on cameras and tripods. I emailed the fair and tripods were NOT allowed in the Fun Zone. What I did was buy a mini tripod and set it on top of trash cans. Worked pretty well for me. I was unable to get a few shots due to there not being any trash cans around the area, but most of the time I could get the shots.

Good luck if you try this, I would love to see your shots. Keep us updated! If you have any questions, post them here or feel free to PM me. I will be more than happy to help you out!
    -Steven

• boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Thanks for the speedy reply Steven.

Your instructions are very easy to follow and YES I'm going to try it.
    I have a mini tripod that I keep in my diaper (camera bag) boy I get the
    comments on that. Nobody wants to steal a diaper bag!!! rolleyes1.gif

Low ISO and f16,22. Easy enough. I just bought a refurb Canon 24mm f2.8
    from B&H a couple weeks ago and I am lovin' this lens on my 20D. Sharp as a tack too.
    Have you ever tried you 70-200 F4L on these type of shots...I have this lens also. Just curious.

Thanks so much and I can't wait to experiment and I will post for some
    serious C&C. :D

boogie
    edited July 4, 2006
    I have not tried my 70-200 on these types of shots. The space I was in was crammed with people and other rides, so I had to use my 18-55 (I would have used my 17-40 but the camera was heavy enough with the 18-55 and the tripod wouldn't have been as stable) If they had allowed regular tripods I would have tried using the 70-200 since it would have allowed me to have more room.
    -Steven

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I love the very last shot you posted in the 2nd group. Even though it was taken before it was dark, I love the "blur" on the ride. You just really nailed these shots, Steven. thumb.gif
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I love the very last shot you posted in the 2nd group. Even though it was taken before it was dark, I love the "blur" on the ride. You just really nailed these shots, Steven. thumb.gif

Likewise, especially because it wasn't dark yet.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Awesome photos they don't get any better then that.
    Looks like the little tripod worked thumb.gif
    Good job

Thanks
    Fred
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Love it!

I'm so jealous! I've been wanting to take shots like this for ages.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Just grand shots! Really super jobclap.gifclapclap.gif