Slow again? July 2nd, 9pm Easterntime

jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited July 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Can't upload past a crawl...again.

Someone win the French open, tour de France or yet another excuse?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    jbee wrote:
    Can't upload past a crawl...again.

Someone win the French open, tour de France or yet another excuse?

Hi jbee,

Sorry you are having difficulties tonight. What, exactly, is the problem please, so that we may troubleshoot what's going on? What uploader are you having trouble with? We don't control upload speed, also... are you experiencing a delay in processing? I'm showing an empty image queue. What does your upload log say?
  • jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Thanks for the rapid reply Andy.

I've tried the default uploader and also the one for Windows explorer.

Both eventually timeout, I guess, with a message I didn't write down.

But I'll post with the next error.
    edited July 2, 2006
    Just got java.net.socketexception:connection reset by peer: socet write error. And I was attemptin an upload of a 427k jpg...one file, alone, on the default uploader.

Also, digitalgrin itself, is crawling.
    edited July 2, 2006
    Any luck on finding out what's wrong?
    edited July 3, 2006
    jbee wrote:
    Any luck on finding out what's wrong?
    ne_nau.gif jbee, I uploaded nearly 1000 photos last night (Sunday) from NY, using the Universal Uploader.

Send us an email, we'll sort out your uploading problem if it's continuing.
  • dlobeldlobel Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Don't think it was the uploader...
    Hey Andy,

It wasn't just jbee. Myself and a few others were having the same problem accessing SM from Long Island. Not just uplaoding, but browsing too. Not sure where jbee lives. I was trying to post a reply, but it wasn't happening.

It was strange because I was able to get to other sites real fast, but SM and dgrin were impossible.

Then, I remote controlled onto one of my servers located in NJ. From that machine, I connected to SM and access was speedy. So, I think there was some bad router issues that may have been cousing delays from Cablevision on Long Island to certain routes...or something like that.

Needless to say, it wasn't jbee's uploader :)

-Dave-
    Andy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif jbee, I uploaded nearly 1000 photos last night (Sunday) from NY, using the Universal Uploader.

Send us an email, we'll sort out your uploading problem if it's continuing.
    edited July 3, 2006
    dlobel wrote:
    Hey Andy,

It wasn't just jbee. Myself and a few others were having the same problem accessing SM from Long Island. Not just uplaoding, but browsing too. Not sure where jbee lives. I was trying to post a reply, but it wasn't happening.

It was strange because I was able to get to other sites real fast, but SM and dgrin were impossible.

Then, I remote controlled onto one of my servers located in NJ. From that machine, I connected to SM and access was speedy. So, I think there was some bad router issues that may have been cousing delays from Cablevision on Long Island to certain routes...or something like that.

Needless to say, it wasn't jbee's uploader :)

-Dave-
    I've already asked Wireless to look into why this happened.
    edited July 3, 2006
    To confirm, yes I'm on long island using cablevision as ISP.

Same problem existed as Dave so well explained.

Thunderstorms moved through right before that happened, but...
  • AtchieAtchie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2006
    Smugmug, where are you....
    Hi everyone. I am in California. Tried to go to my smugmug site and it never came up.
    Then I went directly to smugmug.com and that wouldn't come up for me either. Everything else is working fine for me--other addresses come up as normal.
    ne_nau.gif
    edited July 4, 2006
    Atchie wrote:
    Hi everyone. I am in California. Tried to go to my smugmug site and it never came up.
    Then I went directly to smugmug.com and that wouldn't come up for me either. Everything else is working fine for me--other addresses come up as normal.
    ne_nau.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37417
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Nothing here either...
    Just tried to access SmugMug, connection timed out....
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
    edited July 4, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Just tried to access SmugMug, connection timed out....
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37417
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Thanks Andy,
    I didn't realize there was already another thread going...

What the heck are we doing online on the 4th of July anyway rolleyes1.gif

Get outside people and take some pitchas' :D
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I've had the same issue with uploading for the past 2 days. Using firefox and the default uploader I would get the same timeout message as listed previously. I would get maybe 20 pictures in and it would stop but all those would be fine. I tried using IE and the active x uploader and it happened there as well, only those pics that had suposedly uploaded, disapeared. But IE was way more reliable than the other method (IE only timed out once). Last night firefox and the default method timed out after 1 pic.

I looked at the log and there was only 1 error, though I don't remember what I was using at the time
    n/a 1x1-gray.gif Error 1x1-gray.gif 2006-07-03 10:16:40 1x1-gray.gif n/a 1x1-gray.gif n/a 1x1-gray.gif SmugMug internal error : no bytes received

Am in southern california so it's not just a long island thing.

http://joshfreeman.smugmug.com
    edited July 6, 2006
    still happening. just got the same upload error in IE

"XUpload Error

Sending information to the server failed with the error code 12031. Upload has been aborted."

It got through 8 of 39 photos before it timed out but those were completly uploaded and processed.
  • AtchieAtchie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2006
    My site is slow and uploading is even slower--I had to cancel the upload cause it was taking too long....and it was only about 7 pics with a low resolution ne_nau.gif
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Still Slow
    Atchie wrote:
    My site is slow and uploading is even slower--I had to cancel the upload cause it was taking too long....and it was only about 7 pics with a low resolution ne_nau.gif
    Trying to use smugmug is an excercise in futility. The default uploader times out quickly, I can use the active x uploader, but the site churns away processing images for what seems an eternity. When trying to change a caption, the green "updating" box comes on and the page locks up, the only way out is to ctrl-alt-del. I see that the "right people" are on the job, but this isn't getting any better.
    edited July 6, 2006
    Well, I'm not having any problems with site slowness, my files are processing very quickly and no trouble making changes, it's just the uploads timing out on me about 1/3 of the time.
    edited July 6, 2006
    JFreeman wrote:
    Well, I'm not having any problems with site slowness, my files are processing very quickly and no trouble making changes, it's just the uploads timing out on me about 1/3 of the time.
    Hi, have you run a line quality test? We'd love to see the results:

www.dslreports.com you have to register, it's free though. Go to tools, and run the packet loss test, and report the link result here.

Thanks!
    edited July 6, 2006
    wayne861 wrote:
    Trying to use smugmug is an excercise in futility. The default uploader times out quickly, I can use the active x uploader, but the site churns away processing images for what seems an eternity. When trying to change a caption, the green "updating" box comes on and the page locks up, the only way out is to ctrl-alt-del. I see that the "right people" are on the job, but this isn't getting any better.
    Ouch, I'm really sorry Wayne - I'd like to help. Can you tell me more about your browser, version, and internet connection (cable, dsl, etc?). Are you uploading from home? Do you have a firewall or other security software that's new? Can you run the DSL reports test, just above? All of this can help us troubleshoot.

Thanks
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    ping report
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, have you run a line quality test? We'd love to see the results:

www.dslreports.com you have to register, it's free though. Go to tools, and run the packet loss test, and report the link result here.

Thanks!
    Hi,
    here is the report on my line.
    http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2057195

Thanks,
    Wayne
    edited July 6, 2006
    wayne861 wrote:
    Hi,
    here is the report on my line.
    http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2057195

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Hi Wayne, that packet loss is enough to cause the problems you're reporting. Can you call your ISP and see what they can do about it?
    edited July 7, 2006
    edited July 7, 2006
    JFreeman wrote:
    OK your packet loss test (one post above) looks great - no loss. Are you still having the dreaded "12031" error?
    JFreeman wrote:

Sending information to the server failed with the error code 12031. Upload has been aborted."

This not-very-helpful Windows error officially means there is a problem with your connection. It can happen on wireless networks with phones interferance, it can be precipitated by security software that is trying to protect your PC, or interupption in the connection with your Internet Service Provider.

It's not due to the isp, but I wonder about local interferenece (phones, firewall, security software, accelerators, etc?)