I have no idea what this is . . .

Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited July 4, 2006 in Holy Macro
We have this rose that changes colors between the time the bud starts to open and the rose is fully opened. I thought this flower was particularily interesting and while I was photographing it, I noticed this little fellow. It looks like a miniture grasshopper. I don't think it was a quarter of an inch long (6.35mm). I have no idea what it is.

70550613-L.jpg

This is a crop of the above picture.
79177444-L.jpg

I took this with a D50, 50mm F/1.8 with a #4 close-up filter.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Brooks P wrote:
    We have this rose that changes colors between the time the bud starts to open and the rose is fully opened. I thought this flower was particularily interesting and while I was photographing it, I noticed this little fellow. It looks like a miniture grasshopper. I don't think it was a quarter of an inch long (6.35mm). I have no idea what it is.

This is a crop of the above picture.
    I took this with a D50, 50mm F/1.8 with a #4 close-up filter.

Gorgeous coloured Rose there Brooks...... I was gonna be clever and tell you the name of the bug, cause Michael from The Netherlands made me buy a BUG Book in UTAH cause he insisted that I NEEDED IT ! ...... well it just so happens that bug is NOT IN IT rolleyes1.gif ohhh well rolleyes1.gif

The colours in your Rose are so lovely, and that little bug really looks great in the shot too thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Hi Skippy

Thank you for looking. It's been awhile since we last conversed, Feb, 2, 2004 to be exact. You posted, "Okay I posted just one image to Photobuck to check if its going t show up here.......let me know if you guys see a Lioness or a blank box :)" It was a very nice picture of a lioness.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Brooks P wrote:
    Hi Skippy

Thank you for looking. It's been awhile since we last conversed, Feb, 2, 2004 to be exact. You posted, "Okay I posted just one image to Photobuck to check if its going t show up here.......let me know if you guys see a Lioness or a blank box :)" It was a very nice picture of a lioness.

Wow that long ago??? gawwwd, well Mr Brooks let me tell you I have really moved on since then :D what I lack now is the time to sit and edit.
    Nice to see you back on the forum .......take Care....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • georgiaangel24georgiaangel24 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I have no idea either, but he is so neat. Love the rose too, it has such beautiful colors.
    Esther

http://www.cafepress.com T-shirts, totes, mugs, cards, buttons, stickers and more. Featuring my photos and artwork. Great for churches, V.B.S, schools, gifts for friend and family, and so much more.

[url]http:///www.artwanted.com/angel24[/url]
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Brooks P wrote:

Absolutely love the rose, but the bug had me more intrigued, so off I went searching. Looks to me very much like an immature katydid (nymph). Found one on What's That Bug and while not identical, it has the same characteristics.

http://whatsthatbug.com/katy.html

Cheers, Helen beer.gif
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    wow! what a shot!
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
    edited July 3, 2006
    Helen S wrote:
    Absolutely love the rose, but the bug had me more intrigued, so off I went searching. Looks to me very much like an immature katydid (nymph). Found one on What's That Bug and while not identical, it has the same characteristics.

http://whatsthatbug.com/katy.html

Cheers, Helen beer.gif
    It looks close enough to me to be the same thing, I think you have identified the little fellow -- thank you Helen for all your effort.

Brooks
    edited July 3, 2006
    Here are some photos of my roses, these are all on the same bush and these are the color changes that the flowers go through. Three are from my old Sony F717. The bush hasn't a single flower on it at the moment, and the leaves look like swill cheese. You don't suppose that cute little fellow . . .

A bud
    62784848-L-1.jpg

A partially opend flower
    62870646-L.jpg

The next day, not the same visitor, this is one of the older pictures taken with the Sony. The pink is moving towards orange
    62869406-L.jpg

A fully opened flower and the pink is gone
    62869404-L.jpg

And finally, a fading queen of the garden and the pink is back
    62477028-L.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    No idea about him but Macros are great
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    First off good macros
    And now to stick my foot in my mouth...cricket ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Brooks, your photos are certainly an inspiration, I'm truly in awe. :):

I believe your rose could be a Double Delight, so named because of its glorious colour changes. I used to have a standard of this variety, but it died :cry, as where we are it's so dry in the summer that nothing but the hardiest of plants will grow.
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
    edited July 4, 2006
    Fred,
    Thank you for the compliment on the picture, but I don't think It is a cricket, I think Helen got it right with her link to the Website that identifies the bug as a katydid. The picture on the website is a near duplicate of my bug.

Helen,
    The name Double Delight does sound familiar, and you mat be right.

BTW,
    Technically these are not Macros, but close-ups. I won't bore everyone with the technical definition of a Macro. Those who take real Macros probably know the difference.
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Excellent photos Brooks...love the saturation of colors. thumb.gif
    edited July 4, 2006
    Of the set of five pictures. The middle three were taken with my Sony and they were not taken this year.

The first picture was taken the first day that I had my 70-300mm G lens. I was trying to see how close I could get and still get a focus lock. It's closer than the specifications say it is.

The last picture was taken the first day I had my D50 and it is the 6th picture taken with the camera. It convinced me that at least some of the people who had told me that the 18-55mm "kit" lens was a piece of junk, didn't necessarily know what the heck they were talking about.
  • KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    your flowers are chameleons? they take on the color of the unknow bugs that frequent them? ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    that bug has a similar body to an aphid, i think.
    not good on id's of any nature, bugs, flowers, animals, hey, i even forget my own id number at the best of times rolleyes1.gif

cheers brooks.

EEK! forgot to say, stunning shots those! thumb.gif
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com
  • KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Brooks P wrote:
    It convinced me that at least some of the people who had told me that the 18-55mm "kit" lens was a piece of junk, didn't necessarily know what the heck they were talking about.

the proof of any gear lies not in what others think thereof, but the results you obtain (well, at least for me)

yet, sometimes i feel so (what's the word i seek, unworthy) when i see some people's signature lines ...
    2.8 and faster on every single lens they own. headscratch.gif
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com