Advice on expression needed... (4 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited July 4, 2006 in People
Priviet, dear friends!
These are not final editions - I'd like to know your thoughts about Olga's expressions on the photos - which one you'd like better?
4048.jpg
4047.jpg
4046.jpg
4045.jpg

As for me, I prefere #3, though her look goes to the near-by border of the frame (they say such look needs some space...)
Thank you in advance,
Spasibo
Yuri

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I'm thinking....
    #1 or #2. Although I like the expression in #3, I just don't think the lighting in that or #4 is as flattering. If I had to make a final choice, I think it would be #2, though. It shows her gorgeous eyes and I like the thoughtfulness in it...

HTH! I'd love the see the final!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    No question in my mind
    The expression in #1 is the winner - looks to me like she has received a phone call from a friend she has not heard from in some time. Don't you just love making up stories for the pictures you see?
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    The expression in #1 is the winner - looks to me like she has received a phone call from a friend she has not heard from in some time. Don't you just love making up stories for the pictures you see?
    15524779-Ti.gif with Scott.
    Number 1 THE best.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I also prefer #1. She is holding an object (compact?) in her left hand which is a prominent feature in the photo. #1 works best because she is looking at it.
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Gotta agree... #1 is the best.... I do think it's a compact rather than a phone?? but since it's so prominent in the picture.. it just works better with her looking at it.. I also like the look on her face in that picture..

She looks bored in #3 and kind of expressionless or flat in #4... ... #2 I can't decide.. definitely looks like she got distracted and is thinking of something that has nothing to do with the compact in her hand...

I guess which one is best has more to do with what are you trying to convey??
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    I guess I'm weird, but I like #4 the best.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    #4, then #2.

What's Uma Thurman doing at your house?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    #4, good lighting (Rembrant-ish), thoughtful yet amused expression ... awkward left elbow ... (but that elbow is in all the pixs). I'd crop in from the left, crowd the left side of the frame, to make the viewer feel even more pensive ... more uneasy.

In a nutshell:

#1 is all about her looking at herself;
    #2 she is looking beyond her compact but with a silly bite of her lip;
    #3 You lose the lighting for no good reason ... the viewer is torn between wondering what she is looking at and trying to piece together her entire face because half is in shadow; and
    #4 Is it, great Rembrant lighting with wonderful shadows, a Mona Lisa expressive mouth with a bit of mystery as to what she is looking at off camera ... makes her seem very natural and relaxed as if the camera wasn't there.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 3, 2006
    They are all good, but I like #4 the best, then #1. The expression is good in #3, but I don't care for the lighting. BTW, is that a phone or a mirror she is holding?

Cheers,
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Hey Yuri, it's been a while since I commented on your photos.
    I like the second one as it seems most natural, the others are a bit more (or too) theatrical.

In all cases I would crop out the wall and the window on the left and keep an eye on these vertical lines.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Number one is my favorite, the other ones make you move away from the object in her hand, Im guessing its a mirror or some make up thing.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 4, 2006
    as for me, i definitely prefer 1 or 3. they have a sort of character to them and i feel as though you just caught her during a private moment. the other two feel a bit too uncomfortable and posed, plus her eyes seem glazed in them, like she's just starting into middle space.

you do beautiful work btw, keep it up please
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    From a facial expression standpoint. I like # 4 the best.

Sam
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    They are all good, but I like #4 the best, then #1. The expression is good in #3, but I don't care for the lighting. BTW, is that a phone or a mirror she is holding?

Cheers,
    Compact with mirror!
    Oh those cell phones! they look like compacts!
    Spasibo, Yuri
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Thank you all, my
    dear friends for your comments and critique!
    Yuri
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Number one! I agree with Denise, that whatever she's holding in her hand looks important enough to call her attention.

Great shots all.

Malte
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    #2 for sure! What was she thinkin' about? :):
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/