350D XT rebel, 30D, or 20D?!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited July 4, 2006 in Cameras
okay...I'm so confused. consumer reports give the 350D 3 more points and their NUMBER ONE recommendation for DSLRs. all of those camera are only 8 MP...yet they're all different...right?!
but the price difference is unreal?! what makes the diff? any comments on the decision I'm trying to make...and which one I shoule get!?

Thanks!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 3, 2006
    Ross,

The 30D replaced the 20D, but you can still find dealers selling off their inventory of the 20D. The two are very similar.

The 350/XT is more of an entry level camera, with less features, a less durable shutter and slower responsiveness overall. It is also the smallest/lightest of the Canon dSLRs. Add the vertical grip, and the "feel" is improved, IMHO.

I decided that the XT was the right body for me and I haven't regretted it. I put the monetary difference into better and more lenses, which is where I perceive it is better spent. About the only thing I really could use is an ISO 3200. I can simulate the function in RAW images, but it would be convenient from the camera.

All of these bodies are capable of great images.

DPReview allows you to compare basic features and that's where I suggest you start.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos20d%2Ccanon_eos30d%2Ccanon_eos350d&show=all

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I am fairly new to the DSLR and like Ziggy I spent most money on glasses and bought a XT instead of 20D and 30D. So far I would say I am 90% happy with the camera. Things that I have most complaint is the focus accuracy when compare with 30D/20D. Also the view finder seems a little to small compare with the bigger Canon brothers. It is small but I can cope with it. Havn't bought the battery grip yet, but considering.
  • Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Demographics
    A lot of the ratings you will see on cameras are based on consumer needs. The rebel XT is entry level, and more often then not, it serves the purposes of an entry level photographer better then an advanced amateur. The differences are significant. The Rebel XT is canon's entry level DSLR, while the 20/30D are canons higher offerings. The 30D is the replacement of the 20D, both being very capable machines.

With that said, let it be known that minus custom features and build quality, it all comes down to the glass. I'd prefer shooting an XT with an L lens then a 1 series with a cheap lens. I think the key is understanding that cameras are tools... ones that fit your needs and your budget.

-Art