Please Help Me Choose

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited July 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
I will be entering my work in the local fair here in Canfield, Ohio, and I need some assistance in picking a piece to enter in the "Black & White" category which is set to for any topic, just as long as it's B&W.

The work is to be matted and framed with glass or plexiglass.

They did not give judging criteria.

I've given my comments on what I think, but it's my work and personal, so I need someone else to see the forest through the trees for me. Any comments in addition to voting would be appreciated also.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
The whispy clouds, lots of movement, and the shadows upon the leading lines of the walkway have given me many nice compliments on this shot. It's one of my favorites, but is it strong enough as a black and white?

35969344-L.jpg

Yummy clouds that in a chance event of total coolness formed a snake shape. Contrasty and dark trees. I like it, but I'm not sure I like it as much as #1.

23339154-L-2.jpg

This is one of those minds eye shots. I saw what I wanted and took the shot and turned a completey different looking shot into what I "saw." I was so deeply rooted in the branch and the velvet texture of the water it juts into that I'm ignoring the huge dead space of the boring, cloudless sky. Is the sky a killer?

23733364-L-2.jpg

I took the shot because of the bright sun shining through heavy trees onto a beautiful church with fantastic texured stones. That's what B&W is suppossed to be about right, the contrast?

38549360-L.jpg

Choose which one to enter 25 votes

Enter #1
44% 11 votes
Enter #2
12% 3 votes
Enter #3
16% 4 votes
Enter #4
28% 7 votes

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    #1 is gorgeous and gets my votethumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    #1 is gorgeous but seems titled unless the land slopes that way.
    I also wish the boardwalk wasn't smack dab in the middle I would prefer it off center. just my .02 worth. Still a great photo.

BUT...the clouds really grab me bigtime in #2. Great shot. I pick this one. thumb.gif

boogie
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I like this voting thing!

#1 does seem a little tilted. Also IMO - 1, 2, and 3 don't really have a focus, just clouds and trees - also very busy. I think the B&W is great in #1 but it just doesn't grab me.

So, I vote for #4!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I like number one the best but I voted for you to enter number three because I think it will get you more votes. It will depend on who's voting ofcourse but when I think of a jury judging art, an image with possible psudo-sexual associations can't hurt.

Number three also seems a little tilted.

Malte
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    boogie wrote:
    #1 is gorgeous but seems titled unless the land slopes that way.
    I also wish the boardwalk wasn't smack dab in the middle I would prefer it off center. just my .02 worth. Still a great photo.

BUT...the clouds really grab me bigtime in #2. Great shot. I pick this one. thumb.gif

boogie

Thank you.

If you look at the walkway, you'll see that it's straight and doesn't tilt, so the land actually does slope that way.
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Thank you.

If you look at the walkway, you'll see that it's straight and doesn't tilt, so the land actually does slope that way.

Plays tricks on the eye though...:):

Which one do YOU like Khaos?

boogie
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I think you definitely had something going there with #3. But, your concern is a valid one, the dead space of the sky takes too much away. Maybe if you considered a different crop.... no, probably still wouldn't do it.

#1 and #2 are nice, but #4 just leaped out at me and smacked of a great B&W. I love it.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I actually really like #3.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Looks like I'm in the minority - I voted for '2'.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

1- I don't like the black sky & very white clouds
    2- LHS treeline looks a bit oversharpened - may look better on a print - did you crop off any from the bottom, if you did put it back.
    3- couldn't get passed the toning - went back to look at it, and ignoring the tone it's quite good - log is central - looses detail in trees at lake shore - odd building RHS.
    4-the lens/aperture combination has given some add verticles - maybe a minority taste - I like it.

hth

Good Luck!!
    Khaos wrote:
    I will be entering my work in the local fair here in Canfield,
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    I like 4 the best but 1 is a close 2nd for me, I like the clouds in # 2.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    I like #3 because it has the most arresting composition. Does the heavy sepia disqualify it from being B&W?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    I like #3 and 4
    So my choice is 4...I like buildings

Fred