chal 68, choices

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Tough challenge topic... I've tried a couple different approaches that didn't pan out, and had a couple other ideas that haven't turned out to be practical, but today I came up with two shots that work... tenative working title: "Path to the Light" or maybe "Go to the Light"....

79571034-M.jpg

79571097-M-2.jpg

I'm having the darndest time choosing between them. :dunno thoughts anyone?
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    I like the second one best, but you might try to bring out the stairs more. I think they are too dark.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    I like the second one best, but you might try to bring out the stairs more. I think they are too dark.
    +1 I agree with her.
    The blur works good in both the pictures, but in the first one you can sort of see some static elements and they tell you better where the blur is leading. In the second one the blur seems to lead to just a point, with nothing static visible. Bringing out the stairs and brightening it up a bit will certainly help I think
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    if you could go at a time when the light shines on the stairs, i think putting them in the center, or at least the middle bottom of the frame, could really make the shot pop.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    I came up with two shots that work... tenative working title: "Path to the Light" or maybe "Go to the Light"....I'm having the darndest time choosing between them. ne_nau.gif thoughts anyone?

For me there is no question...the one with the stairs please...IMO the stairs to the right and slightly dark is ok...the path to the light is never clear...if the stairs were in the center it would not be as mysterious. I agree with Chandi you could ever so slightly lighten the stairs...I would use my contrast control bumped up a notch or two...on the stairs, cause just lightening them will take away form the shot...looks like you are having fun! ...great!
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    I think the stairs are an important subject in this photo.....very nice clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I like the first one a lot. I enjoy the way you used the small areas of light behind the leaves to create a great zoom-blur. I would however, if you have the chance, retake the photo, and instead of placing the middle of the frame to make your frame look 'centered', I would place the center at a focus point, like the end of the top of the stairwell thing. I think it will give it a nice area where it looks like a path to somewhere, rather than just seeing a zoom-effect in the middle of a photo. But if you chose to submit this photo, it will still work out. It looks like the stairs are leading to the center. ;)

Good luck thumb.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I really like the way the stairs lead into the light in the first image. I like the stairs off to the side the way you have them.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Thanks folks, I'm off playing with the contrast now and looking closer at a couple of the other shots from that outing for alternate composition.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/