Primes on SuperZoom

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited July 5, 2006 in Cameras
Hi all,
been out for few days shooting like a mad man. While keep practicing with my little Fuji S5600, I drool at night on website for DSLR. I already nailed my decision and yesterday I got a very nice surprise from my bank account. It seems I have some cash to spend on a DSLR and I'm investigating as much as possible.
Anyway, here's my point. I hear a lot of people talkin' about primes (especially 35, 50 and 85) and the common sayin' is that you have to change your way of shooting due to the fixed focal lenght. So I decided to stop my Fuji zoom to 76mm equivalent (that would be around 50mm on a 1.5 crop Nikon) and will go out this afternoon testing this new way of shooting. If the concept is right I might try it at 35 and 85 too and see which one fit the bill for me.
I know that the result would be completely different from DSLR with a proper 50mm on, but maybe I'll be in the same ballpark as far as focal lenght goes and I'll understand a bit more about primes and composition with primes.
Do you think it sounds about right as experiment? Any suggestion? :):
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    judah wrote:

Good experiment. I have 3 primes & love them. No suggestions from me.
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Good experiment. I have 3 primes & love them. No suggestions from me.

Thanks Gus for your opinion. I shot a couple photos messing with the zoom and lookin' at the EXIF but couldn't find an exact 35, 50 or 85mm point but I'm very close. Right now I'm using a 73mm equivalent (that would be a bit less than 50mm on 1.52 crop Nikon). I don't think those 2mm will make that much of a difference. I'll let you all know how it works out. :):

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    The sports thread i just posted was all shot at 400mm plus the camera crop so 620mm. Its almost the size of a 70-200 f4 so nice & light for sports. I miss a lot sure but i also get a lot that others dont.
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    The sports thread i just posted was all shot at 400mm plus the camera crop so 620mm. Its almost the size of a 70-200 f4 so nice & light for sports. I miss a lot sure but i also get a lot that others dont.

Very nice shots! After a lot of mumbling I sort of nailed down my decision to a couple primes and a zoom for sport actions (I went out and shot some surf action last week and because I was standing on the shore I had to use very long focal lenght). Anyway, first of all I want to start with my primes test to see if I'm able to change my photographic side of the brain.

Cheers. :):

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    Judah,

Other than the optical superiority of first rate primes, the real difference is that zooming with primes is done by moving forward or aft with your feet. They also tend to have faster apertures which can be a real advantage also.

Folks shooting with zooms tend to stand still and twist their zoom ring, while shooters with primes move around more to find the right composition because they cannot twist a zoom ring that does not exist on their lens.

I think you will find shooting without zooming requires more thought and evaluation as you look through the viewfinder. Using a tripod can also be helpful, because it slows down composition and offers the shooter time to study and evaluate what they see in the viewfinder. Hence, fewer unexpected telephone poles growing out of the head of their subject, and better, more effective composition.

I think you will find your experiment enlightening and educational.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RatPhotoRatPhoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    I personally use both primes (I have 4) and zooms (I use 2). They both have a place in the bag. There are times and places where continually changing lens is not a very appealing option and your mobility is limited. But I love the quality and affordability of good primes. Now days you can get some really excellent quality zooms, my 70-200 F4L is an example, but you pay for the privilege. A 200 f/2.8L costs only slightly more than that 70-200 F4L.
  • jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    judah wrote:
    So I decided to stop my Fuji zoom to 76mm equivalent (that would be around 50mm on a 1.5 crop Nikon)
    snip...
    judah wrote:
    Your post might provide the answer to my--now seemingly premature--thread looking on advice for a single prime... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=338167#post338167

Now I have to put my F717 at 30mm, then 50mm and go shootin... Thanks!

Jamie