On any sunday

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 7, 2006 in Sports

Comments

• TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Outstanding shots as usual Gus. You just gotta love the club meets, just turn up wander around snapping away and nobody gets upset.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ta mate. I actually walked up to the head marshal & asked him where spectators can go as nothing was really sign posted & he looked at my camera & just said "...you better go & sign in & get a vest" that easy mate. Great people with no crap about them like the larger meets. Ended up with 570 keepers from the day.

I dare say once they see the results they will be asking you to attend on a regular basis. Once we have better weather down here I have been asked to attend a couple of the bike club days so guys can get some action shots of themselves......am looking forward for that one.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    Gus,

Awesome series! Great color and contrast! Great compositions!

My personal favorite:

79637010-L.jpg

The rush of exhilaration doing any speed at all when you are that close to the ground, ... and exposed as well. Oh baby!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 5, 2006
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Wow, Gus, that 400 is sharp!!! You did a great job on capturing these. I like seeing the close-ups offered by the long lens, even though I know a lot of folks prefer seeing the entire bike. Did you use this lens all day? I like the reflection in this shot. Was the driver moving or still when you shot this? (Must have been still, now that I look at it closer). Good going! thumb.gif

79637245-L.jpg
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    great Set Gus!!
    Wasn't that long ago that I was doing that (riding not shooting) so this set really rings true to me.

Wish you'd of been there when I was leaning at 120mph!! :wow :Dthumb.gif
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Nice shots but you need to slow down that shutter speed and get some blur on the wheels

1/200
    67484497-M.jpg
    edited July 5, 2006
    edited July 5, 2006
    edited July 5, 2006
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    No i dont.

No 55 is good at balancing :D
    edited July 5, 2006
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Panning in motorsport is no secret mate. But if you are shooting week-end racers that dont have any half decent shots of them selves...why lose that higher % of photos ? Im sure your rubbish bin is as full as mine with blurry shots. I kept a fast shutter to show the lads 570 sharp shots that they have never had v's maybe 10-50 sharp shots with wheel motion.
    Its about $ here ..not artistic prowess mate.
    1drink.gif

Great job Gus love the shots. iloveyou.gif I perfer keepers my self. To a fisher man it would be like throwing some bait over board because you didn't think the fish would find it appealing. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
    edited July 5, 2006
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    These are great shots Gus! Your choice to go toward getting something the
    lads will buy is a tough decision and certainly not any easy one to make.
    But, to keep them coming back, you will need some different shots. So
    working on the panning shots, even for short periods, will get you better
    "action" and over time, a higher number of keepers.

Like I said, these are great and your customers are gonna be happy with
    these.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    G'day Gus... greetings from Adelaide :):

Great shots you've got there... I'm just playing with motorsport photos myself and love it... nothing quite like the smell and sound of those bikes scooting around the track nearby :D

I'm viewing these on an old 17" CRT that I've calibrated with a Spyder and they look just right as far as saturation goes. Keep up the good work. I know you'll be hooked into motorsport before long! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    Kenny
    gus wrote:
    Tks X...mate are the photos over saturated ? And if they are...are you on an LCD or CRT ? I have both & on the 21" Sony LCD they look fine (a little over done for the net as is often needed) but when i look at them on the elcheapo 17" LCD...they look stupidly over saturated.

Tks gus
    edited July 5, 2006
    edited July 5, 2006
    edited July 5, 2006
    I am on a 19 LCD and have just received some 8x12s from my site that i ordered for a promotion framed display to put together before the week end. I want to compare them to the LCD tomorrow, I too have received some of the same comments. But have a rainy sun set this evening i will compare tomorrow evening and let you know from LCD to photo prints.
    edited July 5, 2006
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Great shots gus, especially the sidecars thumb.gif .
    edited July 5, 2006
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Tks ian..its not nuclear medicine to know that a wheel/background motion blur shot is the desired effect but honestly...im not looking to kick Mczippys arse here for the cover of a Moto GP magazine. Im just having fun & hope to make some $ from it. I have maybe 20-30 good motion shots from the day...as we all know , it aint hard at all to nail the odd one.1drink.gif

Nah, I'm not advocating all motion blur. Just having a variety of different
    shots for your customer to pick from. I still like them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Rock on mate clap.gif

The clarity is wonderful and on both of my 19" LCDs the saturation is perfect!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited July 6, 2006
    edited July 6, 2006
    edited July 6, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    I am on a 19 LCD and have just received some 8x12s from my site that i ordered for a promotion framed display to put together before the week end.
    I want to compare them to the LCD tomorrow, I too have received some of the same comments.
    But have a rainy sun set this evening i will compare tomorrow evening and let you know from LCD to photo prints.

Hello Gus, I took a real good look at my prints compared to LCD and did notice a differance in the saturation on my screen compared to the prints. I like the prints more than what I see on the LCD. The main differance was in the bright floresant colors being over saturated but the main colors looked more vivid and true. I did look at the screen calibrating software, but I could not justify the cost. So I ordered some prints for my self and will just watch how much post prossesing I do. I ordered 4x6s and 8x12s, the 4x6s you can not see much differance but the 8x12 s you can get a real feel for what the screen differances are. Hope this helps.
    edited July 7, 2006