Quietest shutter

JRSQJRSQ Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 13, 2006 in Cameras
Hi - I just found this forum - great place!

My question:

I have a 20D and the shutter is really loud! I'm ready to upgrade but I understand the 30D is not much different. Possibly the 5D.

So - for those of you with experience or possibly own these cameras - which has the quietest shutter and is it really much quieter than the 20D I already have.

Mostly sports(soccer. basketball, track/ cross country in that order)

most used lense will be canon 70 - 200 2.8 L IS

ALL comments will be very appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Working sports pros have no problems with the shutter noise on Canon's gear - any of the 1-series cameras.

The 5D is slightly quieter than the 20D.

Nikon shutters are all a bit quieter than Canon's.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    JRSQ wrote:
    Hi - I just found this forum - great place!

My question:

I have a 20D and the shutter is really loud! I'm ready to upgrade but I understand the 30D is not much different. Possibly the 5D.

So - for those of you with experience or possibly own these cameras - which has the quietest shutter and is it really much quieter than the 5D I already have.

Mostly sports(soccer. basketball, track/ cross country in that order)

most used lense will be canon 70 - 200 2.8 L IS

ALL comments will be very appreciated!!!!!
    Wecome to DGrin.

Sorry, but I don't understand. None of these sport activities require a quiet shutter. Why is that attribute so important?

You say, " I have a 20D..." and then you say, "Possibly the 5D.", but you add, "... the 5D I already have." If you have the 20D and the 5D, you should be able to tell us, right?

FWIW, I use the Canon dRebel 350/XT in a lot of quiet church settings, and I have never thought it too noisy. I Have heard both the 20D and the 5D and yes, I believe they are noisier than the XT.

The quietest of all should be digicams. The Sony R1 should be very quiet and a great combination of other features, but not really suited to sports because of its realatively short zoom.

You can get devices to "muffle" the sound of a camera's operation. Perhaps that is your best solution.

http://www.soundblimp.com/Default.htm

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    All I know is that the Pentax istDs from my g is freaking loud,
    because of the huge Mirror! "Clackzzzuuup, Clackzzzuuup" :):
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 5, 2006
    Wrap a sweater around the body and the noise will be lessened. Or raise the mirror up prior to shooting if you can.

Like Manfred said:
    It is not the shutter that is noisy, it is the mirror. And Yes, larger ( full frame ) mirrors tend to be louder than smaller ones.

The mirror in the 20D IS loud though. The 5D is marginally quieter.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Working sports pros have no problems with the shutter noise on Canon's gear - any of the 1-series cameras.

The 5D is slightly quieter than the 20D.

Nikon shutters are all a bit quieter than Canon's.

Andy, is this really the case?

Lately I've been wondering about my noisy D2X shutter. The thing really sounds like a machine gun in high speed mode. I suspect there are a lot of variables involved in shutter noise which ultimately all have pros and cons (speed, durability, material, etc...)
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    If noise is the only concern, then the 10D is the quietest camera EVER!

For sports photography, shutter/mirror noise has never been an issue for me either. Heck I have to YELL to the guy sitting right next to me in most venues, so the shutter noise is NEVER heard over the crowd.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    If it's shutter noise you worry about check this out:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7894-8326

Cliff

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Why has no one brought up the 10D yet?

It and the Elan 7 were the last 2 cameras that canon ever produced to contain a Whisperdrive (tm) shutter & winder system.

I miss my 10D. So blissfully quiet. :cry It could also do 9 raws in a row, whereas my 20D is limited to 6...

Still wondering if I made the right choice upgrading to the 20D... headscratch.gif

Someone comfort me?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 6, 2006
    ... Someone comfort me?

There, there, poor boy.

Now snap out of it! :smacklol3.gif

That "nurture" stuff is highly over-rated.:):

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JRSQJRSQ Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2006
    Soory

I've been away for the computer sor a whilw (obviously)

Ziggy - thanks for catching my hurried Typo - I only own the 20D currently and am looking into a more quiet camera

Andy - Hopefully I didn't portray myself as a pro - not true at all. The reason I'm concerned about noise is that I'm doing kids games - meaning I can get some truely great shots by being that close to the field but running off 20+ shots with a loud shutter has been mentioned by some of the players. Not the sort of impact I'd hope to have on their game.

Is Nikon Noticibally quieter? I mean would you notice the difference if one of each was used close to you?

Mitch - You're right it seems noisiest when I use it in continuous mode. Which I actually like because I like the look of several frames in a row from the same same play.

Cliff- Nice product idea. If I don't do the camera upgrade that looks like the next option.

Thanks again all that took of their time to post - I appreciate the help.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    if you are really serious about low noise then a rangefinder is the way to go-no mirror and only the faintest click of the shutter and diaphragm.smalland quiet thats why they have been favoured by photo - jounalists.

the only digital one i am aware of is the epson.

or you could go for a digicam-they are as quiet as a rangefinder but no lens interchangeability so probably slower glass as per zooms

upper end nikons are however slightly quieter than my 20d but shutter noise does not seem to be the only good reason to change brands.

how about a big bogus sneeze as you take the shot-that would cover up the sound!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2006
    JRSQ wrote:
    Soory

Andy - Hopefully I didn't portray myself as a pro - not true at all. The reason I'm concerned about noise is that I'm doing kids games - meaning I can get some truely great shots by being that close to the field but running off 20+ shots with a loud shutter has been mentioned by some of the players. Not the sort of impact I'd hope to have on their game.

I have shot tens-of-thousands of shots at kids games, up close. The only remarks I get when firing off 8fps from the 1dmkII(n) is from kids on the side lines and it's generally "Man thats cool". The ambient noise at a ballgame should mask the noise unless your shooting and calling balls-and-strikes at the same time. :D I think flashes from the crowd are much more distracting than camera noise.

Never had a comment from a kid actually caught up in the action. The only situation which comes to mind, excluding golf of course, that a player might actually be able to hear and be distracted by the shutter noise is basketball free-throws, indoors. I never fire prior to the release of the ball in this situation.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"