20D shutter noise?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited July 6, 2006 in Cameras
Anyone with a 20D feel that the shutter noise is WAY too loud? quite a few reviews on epinions.com mentioned that being quite a CON. However, I'm hoping that it's not worth NOT getting the camera because of it?! :uhoh

Thanks,

Rosselliot
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• RatPhotoRatPhoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    Anyone with a 20D feel that the shutter noise is WAY too loud? quite a few reviews on epinions.com mentioned that being quite a CON. However, I'm hoping that it's not worth NOT getting the camera because of it?! :uhoh

Thanks,

Rosselliot

I have one and the 20d is on the noisy side. It isn't something I would want to take to shoot the local symphony orchestra.

But at least in my type of shooting, it has rarely been a real factor. And I shoot things like wildlife where you might think it would be. Actually, I think it is indoor events where people are hush hush is where you notice it most.

But even there what is more disruptive in a wedding. The click of the shutter or the flash going off?

If you asked me how much more I would have been willing to spend on the camera to get a quieter shutter, my answer would be in the neighborhood of 5$. Not very much.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    Anyone with a 20D feel that the shutter noise is WAY too loud? quite a few reviews on epinions.com mentioned that being quite a CON. However, I'm hoping that it's not worth NOT getting the camera because of it?!

Unless there's something wrong with a particular unit you may have looked at, I would consider the 20D to be about middle of the road. The Rebel is pretty darn noisy, but even that isn't disruptive in most cases.

As RatPhoto says, the thing that is usually most disruptive is the flash ... unless, that is, you're rapid-firing all the time.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    IMHO, no it's not worth avoiding the camera for. I don't think it's all that loud most of the time--only during quiet parts of the theater shoots I do is it an issue, and only whn I cannot get into a lighting booth or somewhere else isolated from the audience. In that case I'll just not shoot, or only a couple of shots; when I am forewarned of such a passage, I'll try and get my shots at dress rehearsal.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 6, 2006
    Ross,
    I agree with Chris. It is louder than most SLRs/Dslrs. But it shouldn't cause you to think twice about purchasing this fine tool. Like Chris's theater shots, the only problem I have ever run into is when shooting in churches. Still, the noise wasn't loud enough to disturb the ceremonies ne_nau.gif

I shoot lots of birds. Sometimes from very close. The shutter noise seldom "spooks" my subjects. So it can't be all that loud :D

I don't know what you are shooting with now. But the 20D is one of the best Dslrs in it's segment. It does so many things well, shutter noise won't be much of an issue at all, IMHO.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    muffle
    pentax used to make an eveready case that almost enclosed the whole camera (spotmatic) to reduce shutter noise in quiet locations such as theatre etc (actually its the mirror which makes most of the noise) you could fashion a cover or wrap it in something to muffle the sound
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Personally, I like the sound!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 6, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Personally, I like the sound!

Owen,

That's an interesting point. I appreciate the sound of any true SLR and I try to become accustomed to the sound of "correct" operation. I can usually gauge the shutter speed and audibly detect any improper operation before I see propblems in the images.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    I have the 20D and I do think the shutter is on the loud side but it isn't bad enough to detract from all the good things about this camera. I also think the shutter sound may *appear* to be too loud for a particular event but that may be only to *you* since you are so close to it. I don't think the sound propagates enough to be too disturbing to others....

Erich
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    I have not run into any problems that were sound related.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie