Transparent Background Question

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited July 25, 2006 in Finishing School
Yet another question!

I'm trying to do a logo in PS with a transparent background. Everything looks great until I flatten the layers and my transparent background goes to solid white. How do I prevent this? Using PSE4.0

Thanks!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Try "Merge Visible" and be sure you're working in a file that has a tranny bg to begin with.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Try "Merge Visible" and be sure you're working in a file that has a tranny bg to begin with.

Still no worky ne_nau.gif

I start with a new "blank file...", set the background to transparent, add text, add a line, merge or flatten, and everything looks good until I save it as a jpg. The original work stays transparent, but the jpg. has a white background. headscratch.gif

Am I missing something stupid?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
    edited July 5, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Still no worky ne_nau.gif

I start with a new "blank file...", set the background to transparent, add text, add a line, merge or flatten, and everything looks good until I save it as a jpg. The original work stays transparent, but the jpg. has a white background. headscratch.gif

Am I missing something stupid?
    You need to save for web as a Transparent png-24 file, not a jpg. JPG can't be transparent.
    edited July 5, 2006
    Awwww....Got It!

Thanks Andy!
    Andy wrote:
    You need to save for web as a Transparent png-24 file, not a jpg. JPG can't be transparent.

- Kevin
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    You can also save it as a transparent gif file. It, like png, will allow the transparent background.
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    GIF vs PNG
    For what it's worth, PNGs allow varying amounts of transparency while GIFs only allow 100% solid or transparent. So if you wanted your logo to fade gradually into the picture PNG would be better.
    edited July 6, 2006
    silica wrote:
    You can also save it as a transparent gif file. It, like png, will allow the transparent background.
    But it will likely have artifacts :( I'm interested to see tranny gifs that look good, show them if you've made one I'm very interested
    edited July 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    But it will likely have artifacts :( I'm interested to see tranny gifs that look good, show them if you've made one I'm very interested

sure thing.

Thanks all for your help!

- Kevin
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I guess I don't understand the question, but I just went to PS and added text with a transparent background, flattened the image and saved as a jpg without a hitch?

I started with a psd file, created a new image with a trnsparent backdround, and typed in sample text. Then I dragged the text into the image file. I then had 2 layers. I flattened the image and saved it as a jpg. The text remained without the appearence of any white background.

Sam
    edited July 9, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I guess I don't understand the question, but I just went to PS and added text with a transparent background, flattened the image and saved as a jpg without a hitch?

I started with a psd file, created a new image with a trnsparent backdround, and typed in sample text. Then I dragged the text into the image file. I then had 2 layers. I flattened the image and saved it as a jpg. The text remained without the appearence of any white background.

Sam

A transparent png is used in web design, typically - when you want a file that will lay on top of a background. So, you use transparent bgs in photoshop, and you "merge visible," not flatten, and then save-for-web as a transparent png-24.

like this 66059482-O-3.png or this 75250935-L-2.png
  • JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    If you saved the logo as a .psd and then pasted it into the photo, it would retain the transparent background even if flattened. If you had saved the logo as a .jpg the logo background would have turned white. I always save logos as .psd (.psp in my case) so I don't lose any quality in compression. I also don't flatten the layers on the logo so I can alter the individual layers as needed.

When you save a photo as a .jpg, with the logo pasted in, it automatically flattens all the layers but the logo's transparent layer remains clear.

Clear as mud?
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • dbmagnusdbmagnus Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Okay, I created a logo in Adobe Illustrator. I opened in Photoshop and saved with transparent background as a png24. When I view the logo in Adobe Bridge or even ACDSee it looks fine (it is supposed to say "dan magnus" in black text, with a white vertical line separating it from "photography" which is supposed to be white text). I went to upload it to Smugmug and it came out like this....

http://danmagnusphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1263165/1/83800798/Small

I'm pretty sure I have it right in photoshop, so I don't know why it's uploading like this. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    dbmagnus wrote:
    Okay, I created a logo in Adobe Illustrator. I opened in Photoshop and saved with transparent background as a png24. When I view the logo in Adobe Bridge or even ACDSee it looks fine (it is supposed to say "dan magnus" in black text, with a white vertical line separating it from "photography" which is supposed to be white text). I went to upload it to Smugmug and it came out like this....

http://danmagnusphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1263165/1/83800798/Small

I'm pretty sure I have it right in photoshop, so I don't know why it's uploading like this. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check out the original size:

http://danmagnusphotography.smugmug.com/photos/83800798-O.png

Looks exactly like you want it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • mike_floodmike_flood Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Sam wrote:

Sam

I suspect that if you pasted the text over another image that the image
    replaced the area that would have been white. As I understand the goal it was to have the text on a trasparent background, not laid on another image. I wasn't aware of the advantages of using PNG format. I'd have used the .gif method too. .GIF has a 256 color limitation which loses some detail in some instances.
    :thumb Best Regards,
    Mike Flood
  • mike_floodmike_flood Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    A transparent png is used in web design, typically - when you want a file that will lay on top of a background. So, you use transparent bgs in photoshop, and you "merge visible," not flatten, and then save-for-web as a transparent png-24.

like this 66059482-O-3.png or this 75250935-L-2.png

I'm seeing a white background on both logos. Is it my browser?
    :thumb Best Regards,
    Mike Flood
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    mike_flood wrote:
    I'm seeing a white background on both logos. Is it my browser?
    could be - what are you using (browser & OS)? Firefox on Mac here, and they're transparent as can be.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    You won't see the transparency in Internet Explorer version 6 or earlier. It takes some proprietary (and annoying) microsoft CSS code to get the alpha transparency of pngs to show up in IE6.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/