different typs of blur

jamismjamism Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited July 9, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
alright i have a few different makes and modles here. tell me what one you think is the best for challenge "blur" all input is appreciated. thanks much :D. (the first one is my fav.)

dog wash:
4.jpg

2346fdf8.jpg

fireworks:

ec0dc582.jpgJesus? (just kidding:uhoh)

:dunno

Comments

• twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    1 and 2 are good - but #3 works for me - I like the shots composition and blur.
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    I don't say this to be a jerk, but look at past winners and I think you'll agree that none of these shots has a significant chance at winning the challenge.

I love dogs too, so I'd be first in line to help get a blurry dog shot to the top ten. But, as it stands you might want to hit the drawing board. Please do not take offense... the bottom line is that because the challenge is difficult, you can take more pride in getting nominated/winning. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there.

all the best,
    LeDude

[constructively: the dog shots have poor lighting on the dog's face and the background is too sharp or too cluttered, take your pick. Try taking it back and into a more discernable setting... as in, on the beach or near some kind of shore... add a recently discovered frisbee or some other context... get the whole dog or otherwise give greater signigificance to the composure]
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    I confess that I thought of trying to capture my dog wagging his tail, so I like the concept. Although LeDude is probably right, don't let him discourage you. I enter photos even though I know they can't compete because it's fun to experiment and I need the feedback.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    I confess that I thought of trying to capture my dog wagging his tail, so I like the concept. Although LeDude is probably right, don't let him discourage you. I enter photos even though I know they can't compete because it's fun to experiment and I need the feedback.

my thoughts about the challenge as well, and ya never can tell what the judges are going to think.........I like the dog shaking himself dry ......great idea clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    just a thought, a better crop, and a frame might be worth a try clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I agree to what JulieJules said. It all depends on the voters here. I hate it when people say something that discourages you from entering the photo. I'd rather have someone tell me how to improve upon it rather than make discouraging comments. Take Ledude's last winning entry for example. In my opinion, I honestly didnt think it would win, I didnt enjoy the blue tint, I saw a lot of other much better entries and therefore did not vote for it. But other people did. So you never know what people will like. The tide can turn to your favor really easily

Anyway I think you can improve your 1st dog photo by applying a soft focus filter on it. You can really make it dramatic also by playing with the curves to increase the contrast of the photograph and placing a border finishes the photo really well.

The same to the second one, just make it a little softer and add a little bit more of contrast to it, then put it in front of a border. I included something I would do below, see how you like it. I'll explain to you how I did them if you do like them so you can do it to yours.

jamism1.jpg

jamism2.jpg

Good luck thumb.gif
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I hope I wasn't discouraging to participation. My hope was to encourage a better shot, which in this case I thought more easily achieved by re-shooting than by processing this exposure.

Nice treatment Mr. Peas, and good luck Jamism.

-LeDude
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.