Mentos/Diet Coke 4th of July fountain

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited September 12, 2006 in Holy Macro
Our own cheap fireworks were nothing special for the holiday, but a friend brought over a 2-liter diet coke and we tried the Mentos mints trick to produce a fountain. Well worth the dollar spent.

Dial-up warning - this is 1.3MB animated .GIF with 10 images
79849584-L.gif
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Our own cheap fireworks were nothing special for the holiday, but a friend brought over a 2-liter diet coke and we tried the Mentos mints trick to produce a fountain. Well worth the dollar spent.

I got to try that!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Dont you just hate being the poorest in the street ..walking around looking for ones that didnt go off ?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Dont you just hate being the poorest in the street ..walking around looking for ones that didnt go off ?

One thing we definately are, is the poorest on the street. But I shoot with the nicest camera lol3.gif

In fact I did spent a few minutes this morning picking up fireworks debris off our front lawn. Trash from the neighbor kids. Our own fireworks were smokebombs, flares, and the legal type our overly paranoid state (Illinois) allows for sale.

Of course, everybody who knows anything about fireworks knows that its the illegal stuff that's way more fun. Some powerful firecrackers did nicely to share the love with our elderly hearing impared neighbors. Just enough to startle them, and not enough for them to call the police.

The Mentos fountain was interesting, but far from the noisy conventional stuff. But after seeing these on TV and internet videos, we had to add it to the festivities.

Prop the soda bottle up well. 3 Mentos mints to one warm 2-liter diet soda. Toss 'em in real fast, and run run run.
    My Smugmug
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    the legal type our overly paranoid state (Illinois) allows for sale.
    Hey..you got it good...they took them of us in the late '70s because of too many bush fires & blown up mail box's. We called it Guy Fawkes night.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent to blow up the King and the Parliament. Three score barrels of powder below, Poor old England to overthrow: By God's providence he was catch'd With a dark lantern and burning match. Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring. Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King! Hip hip hoorah!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    On that site with the big mentos/diet coke display they have a how-to. It basically involves drilling a 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole in the cap of the diet coke, and then drilling a small hole in each of the mentos. You then string the mentos with either a straightened paper clip or fishing line or something, feed it up through the botton of the coke lid, and then screw the lid on, keeping the mentos above the level of the coke. When you're ready, release the mentos and stand back. The smaller hole makes for a longer, taller display of spewed coke.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 6, 2006
    three score is what? 60 barrels? That would'a been a bit loud.

Here's an example of all the fun "legal" Illinois fireworks can give. The girls are pulling on a couple wimpy strings with a microscopic loaded charge in the middle. Hard to see.
    79864544-L.jpg

Here's a 100% crop to make it visible. Timing is everything. The girls got timing. And I captured the "explosions."
    79864545-L.jpg

That's why people risk traveling to Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, or somewhere else to buy the real stuff and hope they don't get caught.
    My Smugmug
    edited July 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    On that site with the big mentos/diet coke display they have a how-to. It basically involves drilling a 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole in the cap of the diet coke, and then drilling a small hole in each of the mentos. You then string the mentos with either a straightened paper clip or fishing line or something, feed it up through the botton of the coke lid, and then screw the lid on, keeping the mentos above the level of the coke. When you're ready, release the mentos and stand back. The smaller hole makes for a longer, taller display of spewed coke.

Sure, now you tell me. eek7.gif Dude, wait 'til next year! :):
    My Smugmug
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    At least you don't live here in California. They don't allow any fireworks here. :cry

I've tried the Mentos thing a while back. The directions I had were to drop 13 Mentos into a 2 liter bottle of soda. I got a fountain that rose about 15 feet into the air. Quite fun. Diet soda works better and it leaves less of a sticky mess. I have a video somewhere...
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited July 6, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    .... I have a video somewhere...

Well, you know what to do then. When can we see it?
    My Smugmug
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    I live in California and we have fireworks!
    We have the "legal" ones and they are sold all over town. We are one of two towns in San Mateo County (south of San Francisco) that sell and allow them. They make enough noise and the "sparkler" ones shoot about 7 to 8 feet high. It seems there's always that one family on the block that goes and buys out the firework stand and sets them off all night long!

Oh well, I will say they are pretty careful and the adults supervised... but there are the occasional people who get illegal ones and we see them streaming into the air high above the trees.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Mentos and diet coke?
    That's amazing... I bet my grandson would love that! :):

That's quite an animated gif too! I got a real chuckle out of it...
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:

Hi David......... I saw this done on TV not so long ago, I was quite shocked at how high the flow from the bottle of Soda Pop went up eek7.gif
    Aren't you just too clever to posted an animation of the whole thing online Mr Smarty Pants rolleyes1.gif ....... looks like a heap of fun.

Most Fireworks have been banned in Victoria for many years now, for reason that Gus gave and I am pretty sure it had to do with the shocking burns that many children and others received in accidents involving fireworks.

I gotta say though I do enjoy a decent fireworks display especially around New Year and Australia Day........ take care David, and say hi to your dear wife for me too :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    At least you don't live here in California. They don't allow any fireworks here. :cry ...

Not true ... maybe in San Diego and Orange counties, but in Los Angeles and San Bernardino plenty of communities allow fireworks .. the beauty of Independance Day in SoCal is to mosey down to Mexico and get the "real" stuff, (not firecrackers ... although they are fun, but real starlight shells), Now you have a backyard firework show worthy of a revolution.

PS- Those string things are a bit enemic ... but I gotta try the Mentos and Coke thing. (Maybe in Mexico they have eight liter bottles of Coke and supersized Mentos ... )
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    edited July 6, 2006
    Thanks Andy!

Interesting article (2nd link). The scientist they speak of, Lee Marek, is from Naperville, IL., teaching H.S. science. He has been a guest on David Letterman's show several dozen times, along with the kid scientists he teaches. He was also a frequent customer of my store.

One time, he came in to ask how many ways there were to inflate bicycle inner tubes. We sold him a high-end pump, which I assume he used in the classroom to deliver more than just air (I could only imagine what he was going to use it for). And actually, when I did finally ask him on a subsequent visit, he only said "well, we're having fun with it." He also used it to air his bike tires, as he rarely drove a car.

Anyway, he is a strange one. I taught him how to use a plyers to hold the valve, and with the air chuck on a compressor hose, to inflate a tube (in mid air, no tire around it) until it grew to 10 times the size and then burst. Hours of fun. When he saw me do it, he had to practice it a few times himself. Unlike us pros, he wore gloves and a face shield (wimp!). Note: this is expensive to do with new inner tubes - so we used discarded tubes that had holes in them, with that part cut off, and then the tube was tied in a knot. He took an assortment of tubes from the trash bin with him.

I never saw him do anything with the pump or blowing up tubes on Letterman, but one of my employees thought he saw the pump on a re-run once.

Andy wrote:
    My Smugmug
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Well, you know what to do then. When can we see it?
    Right now. :D I still had it on a memory card so I had to put it on the computer then put it on youtube. Taken with my Powershot A80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSbbb4UXts

Please excuse my sister's goofy laugh.rolleyes1.gif

What I used:

-2 liter bottle of "Diet Rite" (cheapest stuff I could find)
    -13 mentos
    -PVC pipe (to get them all in there at once)
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited July 7, 2006
    Excellent
    Very good. It could only have been better if that car had run over it as it reached its zenith.

Thanks for sharing that. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    lol, I did this also this weekend.....
    lol, I did this also this weekend.....

here are two pics of my sister caught of me setting it off

394236.jpg

394237.jpg
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    :): wow never seen this before
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 12, 2006
    :): wow never seen this before

Awais, Mentos/Diet Coke fountains are becoming the new national pastime here. Give it a try in your country. You just might become famous!
    My Smugmug
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Awais, Mentos/Diet Coke fountains are becoming the new national pastime here. Give it a try in your country. You just might become famous!

eek7.gif Great Idea !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery