Crab spiders -creep you out warning!

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited July 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
There are so many crab spiders here in Italy that I don't shoot them unless they are feeding. Here are a few that I've taken this year. As always: minimal post processing and no cropping.

65832486-M.jpg

61013351-M-3.jpg

70532704-M.jpg

C&C always welcome :):
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    There are so many crab spiders here in Italy that I don't shoot them unless they are feeding. Here are a few that I've taken this year. As always: minimal post processing and no cropping.
    C&C always welcome :):

Hi there Dalantech....... we have those Crab Spiders too, but where I live they are sooooooooooooooo tiny they are almost impossible to photograph.
    I have never seen a decent sized one yet, except when I was visiting in USA last year, I did get to see one eating a Bee.

They are quite patient these spiders aren't they and when you see the what they catch, you can see why it's worth the wait :D

Nice work..... I can only wish to see such spiders in my yard ...
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Dalantech....... we have those Crab Spiders too, but where I live they are sooooooooooooooo tiny they are almost impossible to photograph.
    I have never seen a decent sized one yet, except when I was visiting in USA last year, I did get to see one eating a Bee.

They are quite patient these spiders aren't they and when you see the what they catch, you can see why it's worth the wait :D

Nice work..... I can only wish to see such spiders in my yard ...
    Skippy (Australia)

The first spider is only about 7 to 8 millimeters long -I was shooting with a 100mm macro + 12mm extension tube + 1.4 teleconverter (total magnification about 1.6x). The second spider is about 1.5 centimeters long, and the third is about 2.5 centimeters. I wonder if the crab spiders in your area get eaten before they get a chance to get big?

They are VERY patient -crab spiders are ambush predators that don't spin a web. They just wait for something to get close and then they grab it with those long front legs. Here is their normal "hunting pose":

67009899-M-1.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.