Best free/cheap photo cataloging software?

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited October 5, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm just starting out in race/event photography and after trying to go through hundreds of pics of motorcycles, I need a way to assign tags and catalog them so I don't need to search entire folders of pics manually to see if a certain rider is there.

I use Windows XP and PS CS. I shoot in RAW for the moment. I also have access to CS2 but haven't installed it yet. Is something like Picasa the way to go or are there better options for little or no $?
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    I'm just starting out in race/event photography and after trying to go through hundreds of pics of motorcycles, I need a way to assign tags and catalog them so I don't need to search entire folders of pics manually to see if a certain rider is there.

I use Windows XP and PS CS. I shoot in RAW for the moment. I also have access to CS2 but haven't installed it yet. Is something like Picasa the way to go or are there better options for little or no $?
    Adobe Bridge, part of the Creative Suite you already have.

Get "Real World Camera RAW" by Bruce Fraser to go along with it.
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    TristanP wrote:

As you are a windows user, you might take a look at idImager - idfoxxx.com - there is a 21 day trial - see if you like it. I do.

Anthony.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    TristanP wrote:

Use RawShooter Essentials. It is free and a great RAW editor/converter.

http://www.pixmantec.com/

(yes Adobe just bought them, but Essentials will remain)
  • elpopielpopi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2006
    Hi,
    I am a fan of Picasa; it does embed tags and captions into the picture´s IPTC metadata and the search tool works great. And the latest beta does show folder structure (you can download it from betanews.com).

Now,
    1- it is not color profile aware, so to preview adobeRGB pictures you better use an external colorprofile aware viewer (such as FaststoneViewer in the freeware department)
    2- it does not embed tags and captions into RAW files. To do that, the current trend is to convert RAW files to DNG raw format with Adobe's converter, and to embed keywords into the DNG's XMP metadata. Photomanagement programs such as IviewMediaPro, Idimager, Imatch support this. Viewers such as Bridge, PhotoMechanic, BreezeBrowser also do.
    Picasa latest beta can read DNG but won't embed tags and captions into DNG (at least at the moment).
    My cheap workaround is to shoot RAW+JPEG and to use the JPEGs as a RAW preview and for captioning/tagging purposes (as if it was a sidecar file) in Picasa.
  • trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    As far as an image catalog and sorting them (inside the program) I'm in love with picasa. When I want to edit an image, you can export a copy, or easily open up the folder then edit with adobe or whatever. If it wasn't for Picasa, I'd be a mess. Well... my wife would still disagree...

RawShooter as mentioned above just got the 'best of test' in Photography monthly mag. I'm going to try it out, since Adobe CS (not 2) doesn't support my rebel xt raw.
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • imann08imann08 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I've heard some extremely good things about picasa. I have friends using it and they love it. I currently don't find a need for sorting but I think that Bridge, that comes with your CS2, could also fit your needs as well as the rest of your computers organizational needs. Obviously, it works together with the rest of your adobe programs. I'd look at both as I'm sure they both have strong points the other does not.
  • elpopielpopi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2006
  • TheGooDMeLoNTheGooDMeLoN Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2006
    TristanP wrote:

If ur an XP user then the best bet is idImager. There is a free version available but I suggest you use the idImager Personal available in trial version. I am sure you will like it - http://www.idimager.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Being on Windows, you can also take a look at IMatch. It's not free, but might fall under the cheap definition. IMHO for what you get it's cheap.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Being on Windows, you can also take a look at IMatch. It's not free, but might fall under the cheap definition. IMHO for what you get it's cheap.
    15524779-Ti.gif Compared to iMatch it is a steal. I've been using it lately and it is very powerful once you learn it. There is a 30 day free trial. The help section is very useful and the online forum is also useful, or you can just ask claudermilk :D.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Lightroom?
    TristanP wrote:
    Have you considered Lightroom from Adobe? It's a free beta at present, but is quite stable, plays well with the CS suite, and may be worth a try for you. Its strengths are in raw conversion, but it has good facilities for organising shoots and projects etc, including keywording, among other functions.

Lightroom is being touted by Adobe as heralding the brave new world of workflow management for 'profession photographers' and there is a general discussion forum operating here and others dealing with bugs and future features. My own experience with it has been very good. Adobe has recently acquired RawShooter and will retire that product.

Be aware, though, that the Lightroom betas will expire and by some time in early 2007 you will need to purchase release 1.0 if you wish to continue as a Lightroom user.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Compared to iMatch it is a steal. I've been using it lately and it is very powerful once you learn it. There is a 30 day free trial. The help section is very useful and the online forum is also useful, or you can just ask claudermilk :D.

You mean iView I think. You know, I'm well past my "addict" stage over there now. :D

I looked at LR b3 and to be blunt, it's not up to snuff. :nah There's no way it can effectively operate as a DAM, my impression is more of a hopped-up Picasa & it just proves to me that an all-in-one app is not really that great of an idea in practice. Though it does have a really pretty UI. :uhoh